Guidance for New Life Agents

I had a 3 hour conversation with a current 6-month New York Life agent... and I've got to tell you that I don't see how *I* can recommend people to go there for starting a career.

There's a BIG difference in positioning between being a "brand ambassador" / "policy peddler" and being a CLIENT ADVOCATE.

What he told me was that NYL teaches you to say: "I'm DHK with New York Life. We're a triple-A rated company with a dividend history of over 100 years" (or something like that). ALL of which... is of no interest to the person being spoken to.

They don't know what you really do. They don't know what problems you can help them solve. You're just supposed to "sell policies".

Is there anything wrong with that? Yes! What's wrong is that you are working in the cogs of some mindless marketing MBA's fantasy of how to market insurance products... and it's YOUR career and income that suffers... NOT THEIRS!

At least MassMutual (last I heard) allows the LEAP System and you can market yourself with the benefits of that process. ($2,500 for the system + additional costs for live training sessions) And while this process can take 6 meetings, at least you have something to go with.

At least Guardian has their own in-house Living Balance Sheet system and you can market yourself with the benefits of that process. ($300/month - although I believe it has scaled pricing depending on how long you've been in the business.) Probably a similar selling style of 6 meetings.

Ohio National career agents could learn LEAP or Circle of Wealth and market themselves for those processes.

Hell, even WORLD FINANCIAL GROUP has a conversation that helps people to "find the money" with a discussion of the "tax triangle"! An MLM company (and probably not just this one) has superior value proposition than New York Life to help agents help more people!!! Ugh!

This guy I spoke to, talked about his prospecting and what he has been taught and trained to do. He's "hoping" to clear his contract this year... for only $34,000 of FYC... and without a quality introduction... I doubt he'll do it because of all the internal regulations and, in my opinion, unnecessary compliance restrictions over his activities.

Now, I understand that New York Life is a VERY conservative mutual company. They want to protect their brand and avoid scandalous headlines of rogue agents and advisors. But, according to this guy, he can't even help them to "find the money" with basic budgeting reviews because they believe that is part of "financial planning" and you have to have securities registrations to do it. No wonder they push you to get these licenses quickly - they don't know how to sell life insurance without it!!!

(Securities licensing allows you to review investment portfolios and make buy, sell, hold, and analysis recommendations; it's NOT an "all inclusive" license to do "everything" even if it's marketed as such.)

Does your offering pass "the salt" test?
- You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. But if you salt the horse's oats, you can get him to WANT to drink.
- "But if the salt loseth its savor, wherewith shall it be salted? It shall be thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men." (Matthew 5:13)

If you want to be securities licensed, then go with these captive career agencies.

If you DON'T want to be securities licensed, don't bother with them.
Training and mentoring are a MYTH and it's not fair to the new agent.

Here's what *I* don't understand: New York Life has the LARGEST agent force that are members of the MDRT. I have a TON of these videos on my YouTube channel. Why doesn't New York Life take this information and teach it to their new agents??? They push you to join MDRT, and you can learn a lot... but why aren't they teaching it to their new agents to improve their chances of success???

If you can survive New York Life for 3 years: That's when you can "earn" your way to have your own DBA and create your own value proposition based on your accumulated knowledge. That's how some of these other larger producers make it.

Look at The Feldman Agency. Wendy Feldman (granddaughter of Ben and niece to Marvin) has her value proposition and unique identity within New York Life. She's not peddling policies. She's solving problems. (Yes, she has her securities registrations.)

The Feldman Agency

But the overall result is this: You are PUSHING policies and people see you ONLY as an insurance agent, NOT as someone who can help them! No wonder it's reported that life insurance agents are regarded at a similar level as the proverbial used car salesman! And we have our own CAPTIVE COMPANIES to thank for it! We are our own worst enemies.

This-Is-Why-People-Avoid-LIfe-Insurance-Agents-meme-40854.jpg

Last edited:
Now, SOMEONE will eventually say something like "Life insurance agents are NOT financial planners". "They should only be selling policies not giving ANY kind of "financial advice" even if it isn't related to securities."

First, here's this link from The American College:
The Life Insurance Agent as Financial Planner

I don't know how you can sell cash value life insurance without coordinating that decision with everything else they have going on.

Second, here are some excerpts from a recent Ethics CE course I took:
  • Agents must be very clear to identify themselves as representing insurance companies and make it clear that they sell insurance products. Also agents must be sure to identify the insurer(s) being represented.
  • If one is licensed as an agent, then the only acceptable way to identify oneself is as an agent. Anything else is unethical.
  • Sales professionals must not represent themselves as financial planners, investment planners, consultants or advisors when, in fact, the practitioner is a life insurance agent or registered representative. Such a statement suggests to the prospective client that the practitioner provides unbiased analyses of client financial situations, with no conflict of interest. The selling of financial products clearly creates such a conflict. These titles are misleading and unethical and may even be illegal in certain jurisdictions.
Those statements conflict with these statements:
  • Using professional designations such as CPCU, CLU, CFP, ChFC or CPA is improper and deceptive unless individuals have earned them and is still in good standing, having satisfied the program’s continuing education requirements or other requirements.
  • Another unethical situation is the acquisition of a supposed ‘professional designation’ which does not require advanced knowledge, examination or experience to qualify. There are literally hundreds of so-called designations out there available to anyone who pays the price. Unfortunately the consumer can be easily mislead into thinking that these ‘letters’ after the agent’s name on their business card represent a higher level of knowledge and an increased ability on the part of the agent that doesn’t really exist.
  • Some sales professionals use a trade name or DBA. While using a trade name is certainly acceptable, its use by sales professionals as a way of identifying themselves without also identifying the company being represented would be misleading. To the extent that it misleads, it is unethical.
If you want to ethically market yourself at a higher level of thinking and services, you've got to earn and qualify for your designations and have a set consultative sales process.

Now, there's (in my opinion) an ethical shortcut for independent agents: Get consultative sales training from the Insurance Pro Shop. Attend one of their boot camps, and that education can help qualify you for the IARFC's RFC designation. Yes, someone will accuse them of making it a "weekend" designation. (I certainly would without taking ANY additional training.) However, you still have to meet the other requirements for designations to be granted by the IARFC. But I DO believe in IPS's training that much that it does help you to do an ethical job for the client.

The new NYL agent you talked with seems to have a serious misunderstanding of what the training is about or else his trainer is under some misconceptions. Yes NYL doesn't like agent to portray themselves as financial planners but as far as doing a fact finder to uncover needs and wants they definitely support that. Just doing a search on NYLIC University for "fact-finding" comes up with 10 training modules and classes. The first one I opened says in the description "Asking a good mix of open-ended and closed-ended questions to learn about a prospect's needs is a critical activity in the sales process." Seems to me that sounds a LOT like trying to discover where the money might be and how they can help the client. Then there's the training on branding (only five courses on that one though), and NYL has their version of LEAP, called BOWL (Bank On Whole Life, yeah I don't think to much of the acronym either, but all the good ones were apparently taken). If you want more specifics feel free to send me a message.

Reactions: DHK
This guy was working out of a satellite office that's 3 hours drive from the main office in his state. The way he was describing everything... was familiar and horrible all at the same time.

I am glad that you pointed out those resources online. Maybe he'll read this thread and figure it out?

I quoted your post and sent him a message in Facebook and gave him your name to connect with you. We'll see what comes of it.

Nope. Oh well. Some things in our industry just don't last long - just like the John Savage Selling System link. That one is gone too.

@DHK Dave, hope you are doing well.
Would you be able to point me in the direction of one of your videos where two insurance pros are having a conversation about what has worked for them throughout their careers?
One of them mentions that he write FFREEDOM on the side of the page and that throughout their relationship, they will go over each of these topics.
I searched, read through a few posts and looked through your YouTube. Would you mind helping me track down this video?

Back