Have One and Half Misdemeanors, My Chances?

I have no clue if what you say would be fine for a state Insurance License. But I do remember a case of a Registered Rep being fined and barred from the Industry for not disclosing an arrest that has been sealed. The stance the NASD (older case) took was they asked on the U4 Have you "EVER"...............

Sounds like NASD/FINRA! They love to fine people $5,000 for the smallest infraction.

Sounds like NASD/FINRA! They love to fine people $5,000 for the smallest infraction.

In their defense, you are explicitly told to list any and all criminal charges, even if it was sealed. You can hate them for many things, but if someone ignores the instructions, shame on them.

I would be honest-lies typically surface at some point

x2...I was perusing my states DOI consent decree section and found many penalties where by the state found out about crimes like you have discribed after allowing you your license and fined the agent for that fact. It is much easier to just fess up to them upfront...It might take a little longer but you don't have to worry about it catching up to you.

have you looked at sealing your record? you should be able to seal the marijuana charge for sure by now

not sure about the DUI.

If you seal your record you can tell them your clean as a whistle and disclose nothing.

That is unless you plan to get appointed w/multiple different carriers. Principle for instance ask about any felony/misdemeanors even if they have be expunged or sealed. Makes you wonder whats the point of getting something expunged when you technically have to answer "Yes" with some carriers. I'm going through this now, I had a minor misdemeanor expunged about 12yrs ago when I was a teenager and bringing this back to light is something that I feel dimishes my professional integrity. Not to mention I haven't even received a moving violation since.

Half misdemeanors are OK, it's the full ones that can ive you trouble!

Yeah.. I saw the title and thought "do what?.. How do you get 1/2 of a misdemeanor".

If he was charged and the charges dismissed, then he has an arrest but no conviction of a misdemeanor. If the question on an application have you ever been arrested, the answer would be, "yes.. two times".. If it is have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor, it would be, "yes, one time." 'taint no sech thang as a half misdemeanor.

I hope for your sake that your experience is/was different from mine. I had some misdemeanors from 2001, 1997, 1992 and 1989, none of which were related to anything financial. I got my life back together, volunteered in groups to help others, got married and had a boy. Studied and passed the Life Agent exam. Fully disclosed the misdemeanors.

The California Dept. of Insurance flipped out over the misdemeanors, sent my application through the CDI Legal Department, delayed my app for a year. Finally I withdrew the application.

That was in 2004; I waited and in 2011 I re-studied, re-passed the exam, and the exact same thing happened again. I just withdrew my app on February 4.

CDI looks over the four corners of the Earth for arrests etc. but does zero due diligence for any other factors. They had (and have) no idea of my other activities and apparently don't care.

One irony is that I have been working for three years for a leading professional investigative firm, and I think I have an idea of what a thorough investigation is like.

I hope for your sake that your experience is/was different from mine. I had some misdemeanors from 2001, 1997, 1992 and 1989, none of which were related to anything financial. I got my life back together, volunteered in groups to help others, got married and had a boy. Studied and passed the Life Agent exam. Fully disclosed the misdemeanors.

The California Dept. of Insurance flipped out over the misdemeanors, sent my application through the CDI Legal Department, delayed my app for a year. Finally I withdrew the application.

That was in 2004; I waited and in 2011 I re-studied, re-passed the exam, and the exact same thing happened again. I just withdrew my app on February 4.

CDI looks over the four corners of the Earth for arrests etc. but does zero due diligence for any other factors. They had (and have) no idea of my other activities and apparently don't care.

One irony is that I have been working for three years for a leading professional investigative firm, and I think I have an idea of what a thorough investigation is like.

Have you tried appending some type of cover letter explaining the circumstances of the midemeanors and the positive events that have occured in your life? Have you tried contacting your congressman and enlisting his help?

Back