Help! Phone Sales - Some Basics No One Talks About

thank you for the feedback everyone - really helpful :)

@ Midlevel, face to face is simply not possible. I live in NY and won't be selling here at all. I'm licensed in a few other states. That said I'm very committed to providing solid customer service. Aside from liking seniors, I know how I am personally (as many NYrs are) about the 'service' so to speak . Things like that matter. It is my intention from the gate to learn how to service clients consistently and properly, maintaining a personable rapport

... I'll let you guys know how it goes though- theory is always great haha #newbie

$40 commission, you obviously haven't sold GTL's product. As far as renewals I contact them when their Med Sup rate goes up and if they want to switch I meet them face to face and send in an app on the new company. I send them birthday cards every year but haven't been to alot of their parties yet. I guess I'm not just in it for the quick sale and not ever see them again, in a small town you need to build relations with your client's to keep them.

No Mid, I don't push junk plans and certainly don't drive 50 miles to sell them.

Most of my sales over the last 25 yrs or so has been via long distance, the internet just made it easier. Used to do most of it by mail, FedEx and fax. When I did travel it was usually to entertain clients over lunch, dinner or golf.

Lot's of ways to build relationships without driving 50 miles.

However you want to do it, my way works for me and that's all I'm concerned about. Could care a less how you do things, I was just answering the original guy's question.

Yeah, I'm really hurting. At least I'm not out having to try and replace all the people I lose all the time because of the lack of customer service and the people have never even met me in person because everything is done over the phone.

I know it's hard for you to believe, but PLENTY of people do business over the phone. We've had this discussion before and you continue to claim that agents can't provide good service to their clients over the phone. I wrote two Med Supps and Part D plans today and they were referrals from clients I've never met. Do you think the clients who referred these people would have done so if they didn't feel as though they were getting good service? I NEVER lose a client to another agent and I do mean NEVER. And all of my business is from referrals.

Just because you don't think agents can provide good service and value without ever meeting a client doesn't mean it can't be done.

50 miles to another small town. Must suck to run a business and never meet your client's. That's part of the enjoyment of this business. If you are just in it for money I'm sure it's fine to push a product on the internet or over the phone, just not how I choose to do it. To each his own.

I have bought auto & HO insurance from the same agency since 1978. On my 4th agent (others retired). Never met any of them. Their agency is an hour away from my home.

I do get a calendar from them every year.

I wonder how many people here have ever met their P&C agent.

My P & C agent is in the same town as I am and sends me all the people who ask for Individual Health Insurance or anything to do with Medicare and I send all Home and Auto people to him. Works well for both of us.

Again I am not knocking the way anyone does business, it obviously works well for you. I was just answering the original posters question and he is in New York so it is totally different then the 20,000 population city where I live. I didn't know he was in New York when he asked the original question.

50 miles to another small town. Must suck to run a business and never meet your client's. That's part of the enjoyment of this business. If you are just in it for money I'm sure it's fine to push a product on the internet or over the phone, just not how I choose to do it. To each his own.

It's your holier than thou attitude that is rubbing people the wrong way. You accuse anyone who isn't doing it your way as "just being in it for the money". I'm certainly not doing it for nothing, but I take great pride in going the extra mile and doing the things that other agents won't do. I do it the right way all the time. And as I said, I get plenty of referrals. I've had clients tell me "even though we've never met, you just make me feel as though we've known each other for years".

When you come down off of your high horse you might actually be able to learn something from people who have been doing this for decades. Until then, keep on with your judgemental ways.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I was just answering the original guy's question.

No you weren't. The OP asked about telephone sales and you went on a diatribe about meeting face to face. That's not what the OP asked about.

Last edited:
Back