• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

How Cold is Too Cold ?

Insuranceman

Guru
100+ Post Club
6 below with snow on the ground here in rural Ohio. I feel like a ice road trucker going out on appointments this time of year. This year I'm having a hard time motivating myself to leave the house on these cold nasty days. Hate the winter.

If I've got appointments it never get too cold, but it can be too icy/dangerous to make the risk worth the reward. After the snows we've had and the constant cold temps I don't go see anyone off the paved roads. Some of those gravel roads are off camber and can mess you up big time.

We had sleet overnight and snow in the morning back in Dec. I slid off the road I-88 and when into the median. The Illinois State Police showed up in their Pickup truck in 4 minutes and the tow truck had me out in 45 minutes. No damage.

On the way home they had a pick-up off the road, a semi and a snow plow off the road in the ditch!

The next day they had a 5 car pileup on the same interstate. Be careful out there!!

6 below with snow on the ground here in rural Ohio. I feel like a ice road trucker going out on appointments this time of year. This year I'm having a hard time motivating myself to leave the house on these cold nasty days. Hate the winter.

You need a vacation. Why not come out here where it is only -2 and just 10 inches on the ground. Better wait a few hours, though, it is still snowing.... maybe a few more inches by days end. Not a problem.... but it does give new meaning to the term "cold calling"!

It is just cold here. We had a lite dusting yesterday but when the sun came up all gone. Still below freezing and no global warming for another 2 weeks maybe longer.

We received almost 24 inches in one weekend back in December (12/19-12/20). That amount of snowfall is the norm for the entire winter in these parts. A subsequent warmup and two days of rain have just about removed all traces of the snow except for the snow mountains created at the mall parking lots by the snow plows. Today the temperature is hovering in the mid-twenties, but the wind gusting at 40 mph is a ballbreaker. The wind advisory is posted through Wednesday!

How cold is too cold? I woke up in Gatlinburg TN. this morning and the pipes were frozen in our cabin and we just made the 6 hour drive back home without a shower.

Back