How do I begin as a Independent Agent in CA

Does any company offer appointments and training to new life and health agents with no books of business? I would like to offer individual and group health as well as life and annuities. It seems every agency or company is unwilling to take a chance right now. Any insight would be appreciated tremendously! thanx for all your help

If you are new, its best to pick one thing, running around thinking someone is gonna or even could teach you how to sell Health, Group Health, Life and Annuities is a losing proposition. Pick one, learn it, market it, sell it till you know it like the back of your hand and then move to another product.

You also might look into how MRMIP works. You only get $50 but there are some agents who do two or three a day... before lunch! (You do these for the referrals, not the cash.) Same with HIPAA where I think the commish is $100... but I've not done one so I don't know for sure (Dave?)

Al
InsuranceSolutions123 Agency

MRMIP is an easy $50, mostly I write those on either pregnant women or uncle Guido coming over here age 82.

HIPAA depends on carrier. Blue Cross pays a flat 5% on submitted premium. Blue Shield pays between 2.75-3.50% on submitted premium depending on your production tier. Health Net pays 20%/10% standard but on the adjusted premium (tier 1 underwritten premium). Kaiser and Aetna do not pay commission on HIPAA business.

I'm a newbie in CA at Life and Health. I don't have any appointments with anyone yet. I'm looking for advice on who might offer appointments to new licensees with no exp. or book of business. I'm seeking to become an independent agent. i know this isn't the easiest way to begin but i still would like to give it a concerted effort. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Find a Niche... Senior Market, Mortgage Protection, Irrevocable Trusts, whatever that is, study that and focus only on that, then broaden your portfolio from there, make sure not to put all your eggs in one basket, so if your truly independent dont put all your contracts through one FMO.

Good Luck!

Id also subscribe to some kind of internet insurance training website, to familiarize yourself with products. Some FMO’s may also train you.

who offers good e & o insurance? WHat are some things that I should consider before choosing one over another?

Ramiz, do you happen to know if the iiaa online university is any good for insurance training?

Wait just a minute! I was under the impression that Rick had to approve all new agents in CA before they could start selling.:tongue:
I don't mind them being here. I usually wait until they post something exceedingly stupid on this forum before I jump in with my "help."

Actually, any agent in the Los Angeles area who would like to talk can contact me. I'm always happy to help and probably have more to offer than some others.

Rick

Back