How Many Old Debit Agents Do We Have Here

Old debit dawg here. I started with Independent Life in 1992. I've been in and out and back in career home service companies since that time, but to date have never left the debit system completely. I left AIG/American General in 2003 to go to United, then transferred to their sister company (Reliable). Left them in 2005 to go independent.
I sell FE, Ordinary, a little preneed, and debit - all as an independent agent. I'm comfortable with clients at all points of the economic spectrum. This week I've written a lady on disability in the Dallas ghetto, a semi-retired college professor with a million + in net worth, a recently convicted felon who's on probation, and a middle class couple in an older neighborhood in my hometown in the Dallas burbs. So I guess I'm sort of a life insurance "Jack of all trades". But I honestly enjoy the debit system the most, and it will likely always be a significant part of my mix - at least til I can't drive anymore (maybe that Google car will be working by then!).
(BTW - curious side note - this week I discovered that the LBL Home Service policy premium beat their preferred FE rates on a 62 yr old male smoker. The Home Service rate is roughly equal to their SIMPL policy standard/DE rate, but doesn't rate up for tobacco, so it came out about $20 less per month on a $25k policy.).

Last edited:
Ton of United in my area, can always beat hardly ever can replace due to agent relationship.

When they say they have United I say to them "wow,their premiums are really,really high" then I pause,let them speak. If they say "had it for years",it's usually a waste of time.

Look for them to "what you got"?

If you hear that,after digging in you have a good chance at a deal or two in that house.

I spent 30 years as a debit agent in a small town in east Texas. I retired with American General and became an independent life insurance broker. The debit gave me the market I needed to make a living and when I began selling large life policies along with buy sell agreements to small corporations the circle was complete. If I had not had the experience on the debit I would never have achieved success as a life agent. I have spent a total of 53 years in the business and I have loved every minute of it.

Back