• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

How much did you make in first month/year?

Salary

• 20-40k

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • 60k and up

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
He has a cushy "public servant" gig as his main job. :yes:

N0N5UVO.jpg

Now, now...

Don't put the public servant into quotes...

My guberment J-O-B is actually one of the few that actually helpful to people. Just a lot of people outside looking in think they know everybody else's business and make snap judgments.

Being wrong in my job either contributes to 1/2 things:

1) Can completely cause financial ruin for people that are already in a bad spot.

2) Depletes the "welfare" fund faster, including Medicare.

Not only that.. I get to eat crap from applicant's, attorney reps, real bureaucrats, politicians, doctors, and the above mentioned people that don't know what they're talking about..

He'll, there are times that I think someone should get help, but can't. And times I think they shouldn't and I can't say no.

All for the same starting pay as someone at Qdoba. Although, I make double after 6 years of service..

Insurance is definitely easier and as soon as my book is a few hundred more large I'll be retiring from public service.
)h, I have no problem with what you do and I know many actually help folks.. But I prefer government employee to 'public servant" because almost all I know do it for the paycheck and benefits. Nothing wrong with that but they no more serve the public than an insurance agent. The only difference is one is paid directly by the person they serve and the other indirectly.

I have a friend that got a job with the city. I don't know what the opposite of working hard is, but that's what he does.

Of note: one of his first days there someone came up to him and told him not to work too hard and make the others look bad. Last time I saw him, he mentioned how fat he was getting from sitting around.

Of note: one of his first days there someone came up to him and told him not to work too hard and make the others look bad. Last time I saw him, he mentioned how fat he was getting from sitting around.
My sister is a social worker and has been told the same by coworkers.

They are also mostly fat but she is not even though they have the same job...mainly because she doesn't eat a ridiculous amount of food.

Not to get too much into debate about this one topic:

Gender is sociological
Sex is biological

You can be of one sex, but have a gender identity that is different than people are accustomed to from others of the same sex. That might be confusing to people or you may not agree with that choice, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is that they are separate concepts.

For example, a woman may act masculine. Her sex is female, her gender is masculine; or him, if the female wishes to be identified by her gender opposed to sex.

Him/Her is not equal to Male/Female. One is describing gender and the other is describing sex.

As for government employees... A lot of them (especially the older ones) haven't worked in the private sector for a significant amount of time. Being in the Public sector is a completely different world that actually trains people to be "lazy."

The biggest issue, just explanation wise, is that government workers are ALWAYS a product of the political system. Every 2 years that system changes as politics changes and pressures.

Often, things that were appropriate last week could be inappropriate this week, then be appropriate again next week.. all depending on who you ask or how the political branches are leaning.

Government work is, at its core, suffocating and quite thankless. Trying to change that system is borderline impossible.

I could give examples, but this is a public forum. So I'll refrain.. but looking at government workers from the outside and actually understanding what government workers, especially front liners, have to deal with is a major disconnect for people.

What's even worse, is that cushy job security, pay, and benefits and always what you think they are... Here in MI, they're decent.. I mean.. I'm not growing rich on my government pay.. but it's consistent with my responsibilities.

My same job in Georgia or most states in the US... I wouldn't get out of bed for in the morning. The amount of stress and hassle isn't worth it. I make more than some of the manager equivalents in other states for my job.

Hell, today I saw a sign at Qdoba where their starting pay is 2 dollars less than what they start people at here... granted by pay doubles over my first 6 years and theirs doesnt... but just sayin'

Also, the retirement isn't bad here at all, we get a good match compares to the private sector, but definitely not a pension anymore.

Healthcare is decent and we get a lot of paid time off..

Not saying that government work entirely sucks, but I will say that unless you're born into that system, it's a real culture shock that most people don't understand.

Last edited:
Interesting. What is the advantage to moving away from businesses close to you, and focusing on ones far away? I have yet to find any in my case.

It doesn't really I guess. Just brainstorming. I have yet to sell one policy so I don't know what the producer role will look like. Still an account manager, prepping my sales/marketing plan and beefing up my prospect list.

Last edited:
Not to get too much into debate about this one topic:

Gender is sociological
Sex is biological

You can be of one sex, but have a gender identity that is different than people are accustomed to from others of the same sex. That might be confusing to people or you may not agree with that choice, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is that they are separate concepts.

You know, I was going to disagree with you on the definition of gender, but then I looked up the definition of gender, and it looks like you are right. Then I looked it up again somewhere else. Same answer.

You win this round. :1eek:

...until next time.

Back