How to Get Started As an in Independent Agent

Working with other agents is a great way to sell more insurance. Make sure that you are starting the conversation by letting them know what you can do for them, not what you want them to do for you.

You also need to make sure that the agents that you are seeking out specialize in products that you do not offer.

Glad we see things the same! I'm already practicing both these points.

I started in 2005 and had someone I knew help me to be able to write using his carriers. It cost me 30% of my income each month for the privilege but after a little over a year I was able to get my own contracts. I bought him out and owned 100% of my business. I would suggest that you make personal face to face contact with some local agents and see if one of them would be willing to allow you to do the same. BUT, I have an excellent and easier solution for you and anyone else who may be in this situation if that does not work. I am not yet able to post links so inbox me for further info and my telephone number. It is not easy getting started but it is possible and where there is a will ther is a way! Never give up! I wish you the best!

Being newly licensed it can be very difficult to get started and be successful. I am a proponent of newbies finding a good captive company and working with them for a year or so. They'll teach you prospecting, train you, lead support, etc..

I agree, get with a captive company to learn the ropes (especially if your new to the industry, or sales in general).
I'm sure i will get a lot of love for saying this next part...

Bankers Life and Casualty is good for training. I was with them for about a year, learned the industry and prospecting techniques then jumped ship to go indy.

I can attest to that fact! I joined the forum this morning looking to gain some perspective and hopefully some best practices.

I'm a new agent with Farmers, and one of my strategies has been to partner with a L&H agent to cross sell my P&C lines, but I'll be darned if I can't find a single scrub to give me 5 minutes or even return a phone call. Disappointed. The ones I've come across are mostly paranoid territorial jerks...

Good luck, OP! If you're in the Dallas area, drop me a message.

Odds are, they have seen you before. Everyone gets tired of the new agent who thinks they are hot stuff and quickly flames out.

Give before you get.

I've decided that I don't want to waste anytime selling as a captive agent, I'd rather just cut to the chase as an independent agent, write my own book of business and make a bigger cut of the commissions. I'm a professional appointment setter for now and I've done both inside and outside sales, so the sales process isn't anything new to me. I can't imagine it being that hard to learn, all I would need would be to read up and study the industry and just get to work?

Last edited:
I've decided that I don't want to waste anytime selling as a captive agent, I'd rather just cut to the chase as an independent agent, write my own book of business and make a bigger cut of the commissions. I'm a professional appointment setter for now and I've done both inside and outside sales, so the sales process isn't anything new to me. I can't imagine it being that hard to learn, all I would need would be to read up and study the industry and just get to work?

and carry a lot of E & O insurance in that case....

Back