How Would You Modify the ACA?

russelltw

Guru
1000 Post Club
I know this may be bring on some "repeal it" posts, but as it stands today, ACA is here for a little while in it's present form. Since AEP is over, curious what others think will be beneficial modifications to the ACA to make it work better that it did. Here are a couple of mine:

- you can choose to opt out of Medicaid and choose a subsidized plan from the start.
- potential eligible Medicaid enrollees would first be enrolled in ACA plan, then once approved could drop it for Medicaid.

I know this may be bring on some "repeal it" posts, but as it stands today, ACA is here for a little while in it's present form. Since AEP is over, curious what others think will be beneficial modifications to the ACA to make it work better that it did. Here are a couple of mine:

- you can choose to opt out of Medicaid and choose a subsidized plan from the start.
- potential eligible Medicaid enrollees would first be enrolled in ACA plan, then once approved could drop it for Medicaid.

The main changes I would make are not to the law itself. They need to make everything more broker-friendly and encourage people to work with people who understand the system. They also need to improve and test the portals well in advance of the next open enrollment. Third, they need to enforce the law.

As for the law, SEPs need to be more rigorously defined. I also like the Medicaid opt-out you mentioned.

The law doesn't need to be changed? You're nuts. Here is my list:

1. Fix the family glitch
2. Fix APTC for those under 100% in non medicaid expansion states
3. Fix joint tax filing requirement
4. Fix medicaid only option for children
5. Fix 30 hr work week
6. Fix navigator requirements

These are just off the top of my head, there are many more.

Get rid of open enrollment and allow year round purchase but with a 90 - 180 day wait on p-x conditions.

Eliminate subsidies for anyone earning xs of 200% of FPL.

1. Fix the family glitch
5. Fix 30 hr work week

The law DEFINITELY needs to be changed. I was just saying that the first things I would do would be to make the system work better. With a flawed system, it'll be hard to show where all the major problems are.

BTW, I agree with all of your changes.

Expand Medicaid to 150% of FPL but take that burden off the states, put in a high risk pool, trash the rest. Start working on the root drivers of rising healthcare costs.

Expand Medicaid to 150% of FPL but take that burden off the states, put in a high risk pool, trash the rest. Start working on the root drivers of rising healthcare costs.

Spot on... Get rid of this joke. We need something to help lower the cost of health care. Something most understand and something that does not need to be delayed so that it survives...:yes:

Require navigators to do everything a licensed insurance agent does including background checks, continuing ed, etc.

1. Fix the family glitch
5. Fix 30 hr work week

I like these, and will add...

7. Create broker support line and portal. We don't need the same level of assistance as the average enrollee.
8. Separate insurance plan selection from APTC award. Ideally mirroring the LIS and MSP award procedures for Medicare recipients.

Back