Just Curious, Online Sales

I probably average a couple of apps a week, maybe more, where the prospect runs the rates and starts the app. Probably 90% never finish and most of the ones who do make it all the way through are declined.

But I still manage to write maybe a dozen apps a year without any involvement on my part.

Almost all of the apps are either for plans with gaping holes in them (such as no Rx) plus a few with really low deductibles and copay's.

People have no idea what they need and no idea what to expect. I reviewed an app last week where a guy admitted to smoking marijuana. When I told him he would be rejected by all carriers he was incredulous. Said he bought life insurance a few months earlier and admitted to lighting up and it was not a problem.

Cigna just changed the guidelines for those with a medical marijuana license to be more acceptable. I glazed over it so I don't remember what the guidelines are but thought that was interesting, especially here in Colorado where the amount of licenses issued is rather high (Slight pun intended). Obviously the underlying reason for getting one still being a factor.

Most of the individuals that would like to fill out an application online have already filled out multiple other ones and are expecting a decline. The most frustrating thing is that many of these clients could have been placed had they talked to me first about which company would be the most appropriate for their specific case!

Yeah, it's called Progressive and Geico. I do not know of any agency that is set up to allow customers to get quotes and policies without at least some type of interaction (email). Especially for home insurance. Most companies require a replacement cost estimator (at least in FL) to bind coverage. I can't imagine that a person would be willing to complete that on their own much less complete it correctly.

Back