Lap Band Surgery

Does anyone know of any health insurance that will cover lap band surgery? In missouri
There are no individual policies that will cover the surgery, and only larger group plans may have coverage for it.

Furthermore...if you have the surgery done and pay out of pocket, and develop complications (typically infections), your treatment for those complications will not be covered. That's not just a lap band statement, but complications from non-covered services are usually excluded.

thanks people!
It is for a gal who wanted me to try and get insurance for her. I have since found out that her only option is with the govt plan thanks again, you crack me up!:D

By that I assume you mean PCIP.

If so, good luck finding a doc willing to accept the plan.

Also good luck finding benefit details on PCIP. I can only seem to find a benefit summary. There has to be exclusions on these plans, there are exclusions on every plan, but try finding a list of them (wonder if lap-band or other weight loss surgeries are covered?). How can you recommend something if you can't learn the details? Not that people buying this have too much of a choice, but still. Maybe it's hiding somewhere on the PCIP website and I just missed it, idk.

thanks for all of the info, I checked with all of the carriers that I
represent and it is the same, some said if it was a large group, and she was willing to do a group with her employee, there would have only been two in the group tho. So.... and to answer the question on how much the procedure was going to cost her, she got a quote for $14,000. She could buy a lot of slimfast for that. Sorry, that was sarcastic~~:GEEK:

thanks for all of the info, I checked with all of the carriers that I
represent and it is the same, some said if it was a large group, and she was willing to do a group with her employee, there would have only been two in the group tho. So.... and to answer the question on how much the procedure was going to cost her, she got a quote for $14,000. She could buy a lot of slimfast for that. Sorry, that was sarcastic~~:GEEK:

$14,000 is a real motivation to exercise and diet! Blue Cross of Arizona does actually have some benefits for gastric bypass surgery (lap band) on their individual plan. You can't qualify through underwriting if you need it though. Duh.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Time for an optometrist appointment. When I glanced at the thread title I thought it it referred to Lap Dancing and I got really excited!:swoon:

Lap dancing benefits will be added to the PCIP gold plan, but not the silver, bronze, aluminum, dirt or mulch plans. Lap dancing benefits will be subsidized for the poor only. just kidding, of course.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Also good luck finding benefit details on PCIP. I can only seem to find a benefit summary. There has to be exclusions on these plans, there are exclusions on every plan, but try finding a list of them (wonder if lap-band or other weight loss surgeries are covered?). How can you recommend something if you can't learn the details? Not that people buying this have too much of a choice, but still. Maybe it's hiding somewhere on the PCIP website and I just missed it, idk.

PCIP is apparently excluded from rules for benefit summaries that HHS is making all insurance companies comply with. Darn insurance companies. Apparently the charges of, "your benefit summaries are too confusing...", "you aren't making the exclusions and limitations clear enough..." only apply to those darned insurance companies, not to the gov't plan!

Last edited:
Anthem allows a group to add morbid obesity coverage for each employee for about $95/mo that will cover lap band under certain circumstances. I had a client add it to their two-person group policy so they could get it done.

Back