Let's Talk Cold Calling

Hmmm, seems like the opposite of your previous sentence. An agent does need leads, but he does need people to sell to and get an appt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a lead ;)

Not the opposite at all. I think you know what I meant. You are taking it a little out of context. I'm talking about non-agent generated leads if you must put a name to them. I thought that was evident from the total context of the post.

Count the number of threads that have been started by agents looking for a "good lead" source. What they are really looking for are names and numbers of "qualified buyers" who are ready to make a purchase now. If those "leads" are not putting them in contact with those kind of people then both the lead and the source of the lead isn't any good.

Prospecting is the "dirty job" part of selling insurance. Everyone wants to pay someone to do that for them. That's fine if the person/company is doing it as well or better than the agent would do it himself. Unfortunately that isn't the case most of the time. Yet agents still keep paying them money and bitching about the leads they get.

I'd be willing to bet that if you took away every "non-self generated lead" from the most successful producers on this board that they would continue to be the most successful producers here. They use their purchased leads as a matter of convenience, not because they would perish without them.

The point of my post was that "purchased leads" are still not necessary to make a lot of money in this business. Those agents who learn to prospect will consistently, always be some of the most successful.

Not the opposite at all. I think you know what I meant. You are taking it a little out of context. I'm talking about non-agent generated leads if you must put a name to them. I thought that was evident from the total context of the post.

Not at all Frank. I did not see the correlation before, but I understand your point now.
I'd be willing to bet that if you took away every "non-self generated lead" from the most successful producers on this board that they would continue to be the most successful producers here. They use their purchased leads as a matter of convenience, not because they would perish without them.

That separates the men from the boys. I like a combination of internet/self generated (out-sourced) telemarketed leads.

The point of my post was that "purchased leads" are still not necessary to make a lot of money in this business. Those agents who learn to prospect will consistently, always be some of the most successful.

No argument there :)

The company I work for stresses ALOT about getting referrals. But the area that I live in, they are very private people. They don't like to give out the personal information of their family and friends. I have gotten a FEW, but not many. I will say something like... "the service that I provide for you, may be of use to someone you know, do you know anyone who is getting married, just had a baby, or could use some coverage" and they look at me like a deer in the headlights. Then they follow that look up with.. "I don't think I do."

Nothing is more distasteful for people then to blurt out that you want the names and numbers of their friends or relatives. Getting a referral to me is the ultimate "thank you" and must be earned by providing superior service. How can the client ascertain whether or not you've provided outstanding service before they receive the policy?

Nothing is more distasteful for people then to blurt out that you want the names and numbers of their friends or relatives. Getting a referral to me is the ultimate "thank you" and must be earned by providing superior service. How can the client ascertain whether or not you've provided outstanding service before they receive the policy?

Most of the time I don't ask unless there is a manager with me, and once in awhile, they will go along just to get out of the office, and to oversee us and make sure we are doing what we are to be doing.

I have gotten many clients who asked for a stack of cards to hand out to their family and friends, but they don't give me their info. Which to ME, that is the same as a referral, I just can't call and pester them. But living in the world of procrastination as well all live in, MANY of those people don't call, because they will "do it TOMORROW".

Here's monumentals "exact" science- 24 approaches=10 appointments=4 sales.... Unfortunately, that's not the way it is... I do agree you have to find prospects, but it's not going to work like that....

Here's monumentals "exact" science- 24 approaches=10 appointments=4 sales.... Unfortunately, that's not the way it is... I do agree you have to find prospects, but it's not going to work like that....

Actually, it is 40 approaches/contacts, 10 appts, 3 sales, 5 referrals. And NO, it don't work like that!

Back