Limited Benefit Plans

Over the years I have had a few really use their plans. Healthy when they bought, then things changed.

A few went over $1,000,000.

Got a client now in hospice. Golden Rule has probably spent $1.5M on him, keeping him alive for the last 4 yrs.

He would have left this earth a long time ago if not for his $10,000 HDHP from Golden Rule.

Over the years I have had a few really use their plans. Healthy when they bought, then things changed.

A few went over $1,000,000.

Got a client now in hospice. Golden Rule has probably spent $1.5M on him, keeping him alive for the last 4 yrs.

He would have left this earth a long time ago if not for his $10,000 HDHP from Golden Rule.

If he is in hospice and all they have been doing for the last four years is "keeping him alive", as in living like a cucumber, are they really doing him a "favor"? I think I would have preferred to have "left the building".

If he is in hospice and all they have been doing for the last four years is "keeping him alive", as in living like a cucumber, are they really doing him a "favor"? I think I would have preferred to have "left the building".
Hospice isn't treatment, it's primarily palliative in nature. It's not always used for end-of-life services, but typically it is. If this client is using hospice for end-of-life, then he hasn't spent 4 years in it. Six months is normally the max, and the average is probably about a week.

I guess what I'm saying is that he is probably glad he had health insurance of some kind that helped him have treatment for the past 4 years, and will now help him die gracefully.

Back