Looking for a Utah Agency that Writes with Bear River Mutual.

Utahdavis

I would like to hook up with an agency in Utah that writes with Bear River Mutual. I would like to work with this agency for 3-5 years and then open my own agency and use their appointments to get my agency going. I understand, I will need their blessing to get appointments. I worked as a P&C agent for 12 years from 1988 to 2000 and then left the business to pursue other opportunities, I would like to come back in the right situation. I have a decent knowledge of the senior market, I worked two AEP's a couple of years ago for a large agency that specializes in Med Sup and Advantage type policies, I wrote about 300+ policies each season. I am hoping to write both P&C and Medicare policies, I can get all the appointments for L&H, but it's the P&C side that I need help. Any Ideas? I really like Bear River, it's seems tough to compete with them on price, I know some don't like them, but they have a strong following in Utah. Thanks

Last edited:
The problem you will have is the fact that most of these clowns here in Utah will want you to sign a 3-5 year non compete... and then bend you over on the split. I dont understand why Utah and other states uphold this BS being non competes are a limitation on your liberty to choose your own work. I understand non solicit which are fair and we have one but you will have a tough time finding an agency owner here who will allow you to work without selling your soul first and then taking it from behind on the splits.

As for Bear River they are cheap sure but so is Safeco and many others that are better finacially backed. Plenty of agencies here dont have them and we do just fine. Besides I would not be comfortable placing my clients with a company that has reserves 700 times smaller than my smallest regional. I dont understand why AmBest rates them an A. One earthquake and they go belly up....:swoon:

The problem you will have is the fact that most of these clowns here in Utah will want you to sign a 3-5 year non compete... and then bend you over on the split. I dont understand why Utah and other states uphold this BS being non competes are a limitation on your liberty to choose your own work. I understand non solicit which are fair and we have one but you will have a tough time finding an agency owner here who will allow you to work without selling your soul first and then taking it from behind on the splits.

As for Bear River they are cheap sure but so is Safeco and many others that are better finacially backed. Plenty of agencies here dont have them and we do just fine. Besides I would not be comfortable placing my clients with a company that has reserves 700 times smaller than my smallest regional. I dont understand why AmBest rates them an A. One earthquake and they go belly up....:swoon:

One claim and they cancel you anyway, plus they like to dictate lifestyle choices. PASS

One claim and they cancel you anyway, plus they like to dictate lifestyle choices. PASS

Not familiar with Bear River Mutual other than a family member in Utah recently bought auto insurance from them and said they were the most competitively priced carrier in his area. My understanding is they are a small mutual company, but they still have the financial backing to pay their claims (reinsurance as well). However, I have noticed there are only two kinds of opinions out there regarding Bear River Mutual. 1) love the company can't say enough good things about it, or 2) despise the company and can't say one good thing about it. Never met someone in the middle who doesn't have a strong opinion one way or another.

Why is this? Any local insight?

Back