LTC Approval for My Mom

brian11373

Hi All,

My mom has a Genworth policy for LTC which we are in the process of filing a claim for. It first started after a hospital stay a couple of months ago for blood pressure where based on a couple of incidents while there, cognitive tests & strength tests were given. That led to a recommendation of 24 hour care.

Genworth has approved an assisted living facility near us and we have since moved her in, which was a policy requirement, prior to the health evaluation. My question is prompted by the fact that we are exercising the claim based on the cognitive clause and not the 6 physical activities (of which she has difficulty but not to the point she can't absolutely do them). Her cognitive issues and her safety will be purely based on her complete lack of ability to handle her medications (along with smaller items like getting lost while driving, leaving a burner on once, paranoia). We had a formal memory test where she was officially diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment with Memory Loss, and again a recommendation of 24 hour care was given. Her primary has also give that same recommendation. She has her Genworth nurse visit this Friday, August 8th.

My questions are:
1) The policy specifically says "Severe Cognitive Impairment", whereas her diagnosis says "Mild". Is that a concern regarding approval?
2) Since the policy requires she be in the facility already, if she is denied do we have any way of recouping the costs that will come out of her pocket for her short stay?
3) Is Genworth's reputation for approval good or bad?
4) What are our options if Genworth denies her claim and what is the likelihood of eventual success?

Any expert feedback/advice is much appreciate. Thanks!

Brian

Hi All,

My mom has a Genworth policy for LTC which we are in the process of filing a claim for. It first started after a hospital stay a couple of months ago for blood pressure where based on a couple of incidents while there, cognitive tests & strength tests were given. That led to a recommendation of 24 hour care.

Genworth has approved an assisted living facility near us and we have since moved her in, which was a policy requirement, prior to the health evaluation. My question is prompted by the fact that we are exercising the claim based on the cognitive clause and not the 6 physical activities (of which she has difficulty but not to the point she can't absolutely do them). Her cognitive issues and her safety will be purely based on her complete lack of ability to handle her medications (along with smaller items like getting lost while driving, leaving a burner on once, paranoia). We had a formal memory test where she was officially diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment with Memory Loss, and again a recommendation of 24 hour care was given. Her primary has also give that same recommendation. She has her Genworth nurse visit this Friday, August 8th.

My questions are:
1) The policy specifically says "Severe Cognitive Impairment", whereas her diagnosis says "Mild". Is that a concern regarding approval?
2) Since the policy requires she be in the facility already, if she is denied do we have any way of recouping the costs that will come out of her pocket for her short stay?
4) What are our options if Genworth denies her claim and what is the likelihood of eventual success?

Brian

Brian, Genworth will most likely approve your mom's claim. I have a client with MCI receiving benefits with Genworth presently.

Hi All,

My questions are:

Brian

The federal law governing long-term care insurance uses the phrase "severe cognitive impairment". That is why the insurers have to use that phrase.

The key is the definition of the phrase. Find the definitions section of the policy to read how "severe cognitive impairment" is defined.

It probably says that "endagingering one's self or other" is an example of "severe cognitive impairment". It sounds like your mom has been endagingering herself or others.

Therefore, she should have no problem qualifying for benefits.

If the claim is at first denied, then contact:

ClaimJockey

:cool::cool::cool:

Sounds like my mom's situation. My mom has a Genworth LTC plan as well and they are fabulous about claims. A nurse will come in and do an evaluation on her. Usually in cognitive cases, it's a slam dunk. If she can't handle it on her own, and assisted living or some sort of 24 hour care is requested, benefits will kick in.
Good luck!

First, I am sorry about the poster's mom. It is a tough road - hopefully GNW will make it easier to cope.

If the claim is at first denied, then contact:

ClaimJockey
:cool::cool::cool:
Ah-hah.... hawking CJ... How come? I thought you hate all things LTCFP? perhaps it'd be fun to know that it was found by former (or not so former) people from LTCFP...

Heck with that Claim Jockey noise, My claim gets denied I am contacting one of my Hebrew bulldog attorneys....someone related to me that practices law -----give me Mel Goldstein, Ira Silver, Shel Diamond, David Rubin. Et Al.

We don't play!

Indeed.

כאשר אתה מחזיק את כל מה פטיש נראה כמו מסמר

"Better call Saul", as in Saul Goodman.

Sorry this is a reference to the TV show Breaking Bad .

:D

Back