MA Disenrollment Back to Original Medicare

Question for the brain trust here. I don't write any Medicare Advantage and am unclear about something. I have a client who was new to Medicare on December 1, 2016 so she is still in her Initial Enrollment window. She enrolled in a MA plan and now wants out. She called Medicare and Medicare told her that if she enrolls in a Part D plan she will be automatically disenrolled from the MA plan.

So, I ran the drug comparison for her on Medicare.gov and the recommended plan is with Humana...the same company she has her MA plan with. So if she does the enrollment right through the Medicare site, when will the effective date be? I don't want there to be any coverage gaps.

Obviously I would want her supplemental plan to start right when the MA plan ends as well.
They're still in their OEP for 6 months after their start date so none of this matters!
No trial right is necessary and no commission will be lost.
They can make any changes they want for the entire 12 month OEP time frame.
They don't need a PDP to get out of their MA plan bc they're still in their in their OEP.
Just enroll them into the Med supp.
They'll need a stand alone part D as a matter of course but this isn't a disenrollment scenario where you need to use it to get a them out of the MA plan.
If you're confused by any of this call the carrier you're looking at placing them with and they'll verify everything I've just told you.

They're still in their OEP for 6 months after their start date so none of this matters!
No trial right is necessary and no commission will be lost.
They can make any changes they want for the entire 12 month OEP time frame.
They don't need a PDP to get out of their MA plan bc they're still in their in their OEP.
Just enroll them into the Med supp.
They'll need a stand alone part D as a matter of course but this isn't a disenrollment scenario where you need to use it to get a them out of the MA plan.
If you're confused by any of this call the carrier you're looking at placing them with and they'll verify everything I've just told you.

There's no OEP in relation to MA plans and don't accuse me of splitting hairs with the terminology since facts are facts. The OP, IMO, didn't give enough information to determine anything really. The term "new to Medicare" gets thrown around too much. Now a person turning 65 and enrolls into an MA/MAPD using the IEP/ICEP has one year to leave the plan -- that's SEP-65. But just because he states that the client started Medicare in Dec doesn't mean that the person is 65. Also some people think they start Medicare only when they start to pay for Part B even though they've had Part A for years and that situation would throw a wrench into things.

Back