Marketing Personal lines

Hello,
thanks for the advice yes I am just starting with a captive agency, I just seems like I am getting a slow start.
I am in the office all week (part of my job requirement, they want a agent in the office at all times)
The problem with that I am getting more service than sales time and feeling frustrated.
I am required to make 300 calls a week and I am straight commissions with a part time salary of 15 hours a week (service)
It's has been hard to get into a system of things that is why I was wondering if it's better to work the current book, cold call new potential clients or both

Two things that helped me:
First thing that I found greatly usefully is "cold calling" mortgage and real estate offices close to your office. The call is to find out if they do weekly sales meetings. Most do and love it when an insurance agent will speak at the meeting. You bring some food and a smile and hopefully they will bring you a quote opportunity. Hopefully your captive product is competetive since its more of a low ball beginning with this referral. You will start to get referrals after a couple "speakings" and even write the current staff's insurance. That helped me quickly.
Second is finding a local boat dealer or motorcylce dealer. You may have to work on Saturdays but if you hungry and willing its great. Most people that buy a boat or a motorcycle have a home and autos. Most insurance agencies are closed on Saturdays and dealers can't sell a boat or motorcylce unless they get a policy.

TexAgent, that was great advice. I have a question for you. How do you get real estate agents to be consistent lead sources. I have a couple of mortgage people and that are really consistent, but I just haven't been able to get an agent there yet.

TexAgent, that was great advice. I have a question for you. How do you get real estate agents to be consistent lead sources. I have a couple of mortgage people and that are really consistent, but I just haven't been able to get an agent there yet.

Agents never will be. You almost need the whole office to come close to consistent.

Think about it, a GREAT agent may sell 2 homes a month, many only 2 homes a year. Selling 2 homes a month, some of the buyers will have an agent already, some have already been working with a mortgage broker who set them up already, pretty slim pickings when you only have 2 potentials a month, and neither of those need you.

Another alternative is to work with title companies. Sometimes, a transaction gets into title without insurance and gets stopped. A few rounds of bagels in the morning will get you those referrals. May not be many, but they are there.

Dan

Anyone have a great letter that they have used for either mortgage co, real estate co or title companies they would like to share?

One great off-line strategy is to get involved with contractor and builder associations, great source of referrals!

I got my auto/home insurance website listed on the first page of google and that has brought business, though it is hit and miss. I don't know how anyone succeeds with buying internet leads. Those companies sell the leads to just about everyone. I did buy an Xdate CD from Cole directories and have had some success mailing to home owners, along with following up with phone calls. I am independent and have had a couple companies tell me they think rates (generally) will begin to increase in 2009. That sure seems like a long way off in some ways.

Oh, and just in case anyone gets a phone call from a company called unionfriendly.com - don't waste your money. I bought in but it's been a bust.

I have had decent luck with our first try at postcardmania. They mailed out 5K cards to homes in our zipcode and the premium generated for 1 year paid for the cost. Anything that renews is profit.

Back