Marketing to Walk in Clients

GoForBroker

Expert
I Get 5-10 people in my office a day making payments. I have free pens laid out on my desk with my info on them and people take them like crazy. How could I use this to get some life prospects. All of these people already have a home or auto with me. Do you think some sort of marketing piece should be next to the pens or would you just tell them take a pen get a free life quote sort of deal. They almost always ask if they can grab one.

Thanks

I Get 5-10 people in my office a day making payments. I have free pens laid out on my desk with my info on them and people take them like crazy. How could I use this to get some life prospects. All of these people already have a home or auto with me. Do you think some sort of marketing piece should be next to the pens or would you just tell them take a pen get a free life quote sort of deal. They almost always ask if they can grab one.

Thanks

The good news is you are doing a great job of identifying a need, the bad news is that the need that you are finding is the need for a free ink pen.

It seems like you have an opportunity in front of you, you just need some solid training on how to sell life insurance.

Thanks

Yes. YOU should be standing next to the pens asking them about life insurance.

Life insurance is not sold by brochures or free ink pens. It's sold by agents.

Wholeheartedly agree with Newby's advice there.

Simply ask them ("Who do you have your Life Insurance with") while you have them captive in your office. Ink pens, magnets, and pamphlets won't sell a life insurance policy but your simple question will.

Last edited:
"Thanks for letting us take care of your auto and home insurance. Would it be okay if we talked about life insurance?"

Some will say yes. Make the appointment.

Some will say no. That's not a bad thing. They might be saying no because they have some life insurance now. You just need to explore it with them to see if it makes sense to review if what they have meets their needs.

All good advice I am just going to start asking people straight up. I have to learn how to get around the I have it through my work or I have plenty of insurance. I find it hard to believe they all do but at the same time I want to keep what I have on the books and not make them afraid to come into my office. If I try and sell them every time I have to think they will get shy.

All good advice I am just going to start asking people straight up. I have to learn how to get around the I have it through my work or I have plenty of insurance. I find it hard to believe they all do but at the same time I want to keep what I have on the books and not make them afraid to come into my office. If I try and sell them every time I have to think they will get shy.

Asking people straight up it the best way to approach any sale. When it comes to life insurance, most folks will find some reason/excuse not to meet with you. It's nothing personal (usually). It's just people have a preconceived notion of how a life insurance salesperson behaves and they don't want to be subjected to that.

I train agents to overcome that obstacle it a way that establishes their professionalism and let's the client off the hook easy, so there are no hard feelings. Agents will get the appointment most of the time. They get a life sale about 80% of the time.

Last edited:
Pete could you explain in further detail how you accomplish that.

Today I have had two walk ins and I asked both of them straight up. I see you have your home and auto with me, can I ask you about your life insurance. The first one said that she had no money and I said do you have a family and she said yes. I said have you prepared things in case you never come home for them. She said no. I then said this is why we need to talk, I have several options available for all budget ranges and even a little bit is better then nothing right? I then said for the price of going out to eat a couple times a month you can protect your family, which is more important to you. She said your correct and I set an appointment for next month.

The second one was a guy and I said the same thing to him. He was in here asking about health insurance so I brought up who has your life insurance. He went on a ramble about closing on a second mortgage and how important it was to him financially. Basically an excuse of why he doesnt have money to talk about it. I said well Sir I hope that works out for you and I will work with you to keep your health insurance affordable but I am also going to work up a few life quotes for you for around 100k to give you an idea, your still young enough to get term at an affordable rate and since you dont have anything now is the time to do it. If you cannot afford the 100k term then we can look at some smaller final expense options for you to make sure you funeral is covered at the very least. I will be following up with you on this. He said ok.

They both got free pens and calenders but only after I talked with them about this.I then said take a pen and a calender and have a great holidays, I will be in touch.

I think as things keep going it will become easier and easier to get this done.

Sorry so long but I think details can help you guys better understand anything I may be missing.

You're off to the races! Good job on both. I have a whole system I train agents on. (It's a binder with a CD.) It's designed specifically to cross sell life insurance to current clients, primarily in a P&C shop. It's only made available to agents I work with. The basic strategy is to remove the client's reluctance to meet with a life insurance agent.

Back