May 23 Covered CA Webinar To Announce Plans

Slides http://www.healthexchange.ca.gov/Documents/Powerpoint%20Draft%20CCHP%20Announcement%20DS.pdf

they are cherry picking LA rates and 40 yr old, what about 60 yr old
25 yr old bronze = $147
25 yr old catastrophic = $116

Look at SF rates. Very high
They are only showing individuals, multiply by 4 for family of 4
Lots of no name regional carriers.

Thanks for the link.

Dumb question alert: Have they said how they'll be pricing families? Are they going to use the common IFP model to assign each family member a separate rate based on age and then adding to get the family price, or are they using the small group model of basing the whole family off the primary subscriber's age alone?

Along w/UHC

To be in the Exchange, you had to also be in the SHOP.

These three carriers said no.

I can't remember the last time I even quoted, much less sold, a UHC IFP plan in CA. Small group players, though.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"We'd all like one number to see how the rates changed overall, however it doesn't exist"

Of course it exists. Blue Shield just said theirs is 13%

Last edited:
Berkeley calculator shows $368, so these prices are lower

Because prices came in lower, those above 300% FPL will not get a subsidy, since it's based on max of 9.5% of income
Can anyone provide a working link to the benefits booklet? The link on the site says unauthorized.

Same with me, only the special people get the real details
Due to active purchase model, they rejected higher priced plans/carriers. My bet is most of the small carriers that did get accepted, don't have good actuarial numbers to ascertain accurate GI prices, and will be bankrupt within 2 yrs

Last edited:
This is how market compression works. You "cherry pick" only the low-priced insurers, they go bankrupt, big name carriers won't play, and you're left with only the Blues and Billy-Bob-and-Sons Co-Op.

Since YAgents just calculated that those at 300% and above won't get any money out of the subsidy due to the 9.5% rule, that means a vibrant market outside the exchange should exist in CA, depending on regulatory pressure.

This is how market compression works. You "cherry pick" only the low-priced insurers, they go bankrupt, big name carriers won't play, and you're left with only the Blues and Billy-Bob-and-Sons Co-Op.

Since YAgents just calculated that those at 300% and above won't get any money out of the subsidy due to the 9.5% rule, that means a vibrant market outside the exchange should exist in CA, depending on regulatory pressure.

Hey, how did you guess the name of my Co-op?
I didn't calculate, Peter Lee, head of CC, stated it in the Q&A

Back