Med Supp Carriers that offer instant decision underwriting

So does Ace, Aetna(and all of the companies they TPA for), Allstate, Lumico. Atlantic Coast Life and Oxford did....but they both recently left the Med Supp business.

I am missing something here.

Ace (a Chubb company) entered the GA market last September. Same for Allstate about the same time. Atlantic Coast Life has been here a few years but not competitive.

Lumico and Oxford are gone but I never used either so no idea when they departed . . . maybe a year ago?

Pan Am (part of the Pan American Life Group) has been here maybe 2, 3 years but have never been a player.

Aetna is still here as Continental Life (Aetna Health Insurance left last November).

So who are the "both" who recently left? Lumico & Oxford?

I am missing something here.

Ace (a Chubb company) entered the GA market last September. Same for Allstate about the same time. Atlantic Coast Life has been here a few years but not competitive.

Lumico and Oxford are gone but I never used either so no idea when they departed . . . maybe a year ago?

Pan Am (part of the Pan American Life Group) has been here maybe 2, 3 years but have never been a player.

Aetna is still here as Continental Life (Aetna Health Insurance left last November).

So who are the "both" who recently left? Lumico & Oxford?
Atlantic Coast Life (2/15/23) and Oxford (12/3/22).

Lumico was replaced by Elips. Shell game. Both owned by Swiss RE.

Looks like they're rebranding National General as Allstate.

Last edited:
So many carriers entering and leaving the market in short order (less than 3 years in the Medigap line), it's hard to keep up.

Everytime a carrier leaves the market, statewide or national, that creates a closed block of business that will eventually go into a death spiral . . . usually within 3 to 5 years.

My Equitable block was only 80 lives or so and now is pegged at a dozen.

So many carriers entering and leaving the market in short order (less than 3 years in the Medigap line), it's hard to keep up.

Everytime a carrier leaves the market, statewide or national, that creates a closed block of business that will eventually go into a death spiral . . . usually within 3 to 5 years.

My Equitable block was only 80 lives or so and now is pegged at a dozen.
I was in a closed book with Liberty Bankers and can't pass UW with anybody. BCBSIL is GI and not cheap, but my LBL premium got to be more than BCBSIL, so I was able to switch.

Back