• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Med Supp Vs Medicare Advantage

I'll get an ARK non res, send me all your prospects you feel are too good for MA plans and I will sign them up and send ya a check!

I'll get an ARK non res, send me all your prospects you feel are too good for MA plans and I will sign them up and send ya a check!

No kidding! I'm writing 2 med supps next week because that's the right plan for the couple.

I'll be writing an MA plan for another prospect because that is the right plan for her.

Lots of agents don't do the right thing because they blame regulations. Yes, CMS is a pain in the ass. Doesn't mean the agent shouldn't have the ethics to actually help the prospect.

Rick

Why would they be better off with original Medicare? Then they would have a deductible for the doctor visits, have to pay a part D premium, and probably have a part D deductible also. That means around 360 part d premium and 310 deductible, so around 670/year out of pocket exposure just for part D. Why not have a 0 premium MAPD Plan, that includes part D, and has 0 drug deductible? Instead of paying 20% for doctors (and having a deductible) with original Medicare, the client would have copays, no deductible. Also usually additional benefits like vision, possibly preventative dental, and worldwide ER coverage. All for 0 premium. For hospital, many plans run around $275/day for the first 5 days, then 0 thereafter. Not bad, considering you are paying 0, and saving $670 potentially on the part D factor, picking up extra benefits, and not everyone is hospitalized all that often. Still, you do make good points, and I understand what you are saying. What area are you in with such a high OOP Max? I've personally sold over 1000 MA plans, and have great retention. My clients are happy, and send me referrals consistently. I've stopped selling them due to overall priorities in helping our agent partners, but I still help clients who send referrals. It has been a positive experience, I just want to mention that. I realize not all areas are the same, and we do sell a lot of med supp plans as well, depending in the situation.

Its based on how I view MA plans locally...There is no $0 plans and most plans cost more than a Part D plan and the formulary typically isn't as good.
However I was just commenting on on your example of a person who visits the Dr 5-6 times per year...They would have the Part B deductible and then pay 20% but I think people sometimes overhype the 20% a person going to the Dr a couple of times a year is just looking at an office visit which is what a medicare approved amount of $60 or so in this area so $12 a visit? My concern as mentioned is on the Hospital side where on MA plans here they would be better paying the Part A deductible if they spend more than a few days in the hospital.

All I can say is these plans vary widely depending on where you live..I listen to Rick and some guys in CA talk about some of their plans and I would have no trouble offering something like that.

Which brings up an interesting point....Since this money comes from Medicare don't you find something wrong with allowing the companies to vary plans so much based on location. A resident in CA on Original Medicare and one here in Maine have exactly the same plan while their Neighbors on MA plans have vastly different plans.

=
Lots of agents don't do the right thing because they blame regulations. Yes, CMS is a pain in the ass. Doesn't mean the agent shouldn't have the ethics to actually help the prospect.

You godless heathen! May the Almighty have mercy on your soul for such actions!

For a lot of people who are comparing Medicare Advantage plans vs Medicare Supplement plans, it boils down to whether or not they will need non-emergency medical expenses when out of network.

There is virtually not coverage for non-emergency coverage when you are out of network with an Advantage plan.

If they are in reasonably good health, they should be OK even if they travel.

People with chronic conditions who travel are better off with a Supplement if they are likely to need need routine care while away from home.

Snowbirds and others who spend a lot of time in a second home are also more likely to do better with a Medigap.

Last edited by a moderator:
MA plans have 0 guarantees. Premiums are not Guaranteed, Coverage is not Guaranteed, Network is not Guaranteed,out of pocket max is not Guaranteed. All these things change every year.
With a medsupp everything is guaranteed exept Rates wich have to be approved by the dept of insurance for increases.
If you put a client on a MA today because they are healthy for the "Savings" one day that health will start to fail. then they most likely wont be able to get a medsupp ( your good health buys the insurance your money just pays for it)

Then the premiums start to double the MOOP goes from 3k to 6k and up, the network starts to shrink and your client is stuck in that MA with all the "savings" because they dont qualify for a medsupp. You advised them to get that MA 3 years ago because they are "healthy"
Tell that client now about all those savings.

That client will be calling Dept of Ins. saying everything they have to in order to get out of it. Then CMS will be contacting you because you have to keep your records for 10 years.
Your putting your Ins lic on the line everytime you write one of those things.

Last edited:
captain you are out of your mind, you are not putting your ins license in jeopardy by selling MA plans, get real!

Back