• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Med Supp Vs Medicare Advantage

All these things change every year.

If they change every contract year, why can't the policy owner just switch back to Original Medicare and buy a Medicare Supplement during the open enrollment period prior to the change in the contract?

Are there still Medigap plans that are medically underwritten? I don't think there are any in my state.

If they change every contract year, why can't the policy owner just switch back to Original Medicare and buy a Medicare Supplement during the open enrollment period prior to the change in the contract?
Are there still Medigap plans that are medically underwritten? I don't think there are any in my state.

In my state you have to quilify for a medsupp with underwritting. Unless you have a GI issue.

CA is very consumer friendly as respects moving from MA plans into supplements.

If the MA increases the share of cost to the member, the member may then go into anyone's Med Supp on a GI basis. I've used this rule many times and very glad that 99% of agents are too stupid to know this.

Rick

If the MA increases the share of cost to the member, the member may then go into anyone's Med Supp on a GI basis. I've used this rule many times and very glad that 99% of agents are too stupid to know this.

Rick

It's like stealing isn't it? I've had so many cases in the last few months that have left me shaking my head.

A good one recently, the couple were a text book SEP case and the agent they were going to use told them they weren't eligible for GI? Both were coming off of an ESP, and I was like he told you what?

I agree with you 100%. Ive been known to be out of my mind but this is exactly what my thoughts are on MA plans. $0 premium health insurance besides Part B premium which stops going to Medicare and goes to the company offering the private plan.

Why not offer that to everyone? I would pay the Part B premium for that coverage. However...it is only offered to folks that are in their seniors years...the folks that go to the doctor and hospital regularly, in addition, are prone to get sick due to age.

The only suitable person on Medicare to have this plan is underage 65 on M/C disability, at least here in Ar. If they cannot afford the premium for a med supp then more than likely they qualify for some sort of Medicaid. If they are low income and you can show them that they may qualify to get the Part B premium paid for them..then you are their best friend and you just freed up money for a med supp. The most FE plans I sold were to these folks along w/ a med supp. It works for me!!

Only MA folks I talk to are ready to switch back to Original Medicare. In Ar. OOP max around $6000 on a MA plan or $1500 to $2000 OOP max on a med supp.

PEACE OF MIND is a big deal to seniors!!

The part B premium going to the company is not at all how MA plans are funded.

It's like stealing isn't it? I've had so many cases in the last few months that have left me shaking my head.

A good one recently, the couple were a text book SEP case and the agent they were going to use told them they weren't eligible for GI? Both were coming off of an ESP, and I was like he told you what?

Can you please tell me what an ESP is?

And I am very glad to know that if the max oop goes up on a MA, the person is GI - did not know that - what is time frame?

Anyone getting a MA when they are 65 and in GI have a certain period of time to move to a med supp without qualifying if they do not like MA - MofO is 24 months, Gerber is 12 and I think AARP is 24 but need to read to be sure on the last one.

I learn a lot from reading these forums - thanks!

And I am very glad to know that if the max oop goes up on a MA, the person is GI - did not know that - what is time frame?

What Rick said is that his state California is very consumer friendly in this area...What he mentioned is a state rule. These forums are a great place to learn but be sure to check on any state specific info.

I'm in Maine and we do not have anything like that...However Anthem BC is essentially GI for Med Supps and we have a state law allowing the movement from one med supp to another of equal or lesser benefits as long as the client does not go 90 days without coverage...I have been more than happy to move someone to anthem and come back a couple of months later and move them GI to the carrier we really want.

Last edited:
Where does the Part B premium for people on a MA plan. Medicare pays a fixed amount to the MA plan using the beneficiaries part B premium. It may be funneled and funded in different terminology but that is how it works.

Do you actually have an insurance license?

The Part B premium is about $100 a month. The capitation (look it up) is about $700-900 a month depending on the state an county.

You might want to restate what you posted now that you have some information. Clearly, petrinoDOESN'Tknowbest.

Rick

Do you actually have an insurance license?

The Part B premium is about $100 a month. The capitation (look it up) is about $700-900 a month depending on the state an county.

You might want to restate what you posted now that you have some information. Clearly, petrinoDOESN'Tknowbest.

Rick
I thought I was the only one wondering about this. Does he have a license?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Petronowski,
It is but a drop in the bucket!
Part B Premium that is.

Last edited:
Where do you think the Part b premium goes once a person joins a MA plan??

The same place it always goes. It's to pay for 1/4 of the actual cost of Part B. Has no bearning on how much an MA plan is paid.

Glad your family has been in the Medicare business since 1982. Too bad you didn't learn anything.

Rick

Back