Medicare Part B Deductibles and Premium Just Announced -

" If you pay your Part B premium through your monthly Social Security benefit, you’ll pay less ($109 on average)."

I just wasn't sure if the line above was a very general generalization or really a true reflection of what will happen.

If they're taking the premium out of your check, you'll be a $109er.

" If you pay your Part B premium through your monthly Social Security benefit, you’ll pay less ($109 on average)."

I just wasn't sure if the line above was a very general generalization or really a true reflection of what will happen.

First year that I've been around in where I can't quite say what someone will pay for their part B premium if they started SS and medicare in 2016. Will be odd. "You pay somewhere in between $121.80 and $134"

I am waiting for the new year notification with great interest!

The Medicare.gov posting seems to me to indicate g--52's scenario.
There was a discussion in a thread somewhere a month or two back that leaned towards chazm's opinion.

I also may not have read Medicare.gov's stuff carefully enough to pick out the right answer.

Last edited:
From Medicare.gov:

The standard Part B premium amount in 2017 will be $134 (or higher depending on your income). However, most people who get Social Security benefits will pay less than this amount. This is because the Part B premium increased more than the cost-of-living increase for 2017 Social Security benefits. If you pay your Part B premium through your monthly Social Security benefit, you’ll pay less ($109 on average). Social Security will tell you the exact amount you will pay for Part B in 2017. You'll pay the standard premium amount if:

You enroll in Part B for the first time in 2017.

============================

I read that for $134 for 2017 t65's too.

What is confusing to me is the 2016 T65's with SS premium deductions because the brief description above does not seem to address their "privileged" premium status in the Medicare system.

----------

My personal opinion is that CMS should not have put the $109 average comment in their information. I don't think they can compute a meaningful average right now.

Weak on math, cant figure the formula, but 70% of the average ought to be $109 and 30% ought to be around $126. Which goes to not quoting anumber, just leave it at Soc Security will tell you the premium amount.

From Medicare.gov:

The standard Part B premium amount in 2017 will be $134 (or higher depending on your income). However, most people who get Social Security benefits will pay less than this amount. This is because the Part B premium increased more than the cost-of-living increase for 2017 Social Security benefits. If you pay your Part B premium through your monthly Social Security benefit, you’ll pay less ($109 on average). Social Security will tell you the exact amount you will pay for Part B in 2017. You'll pay the standard premium amount if:

You enroll in Part B for the first time in 2017.

============================

I read that for $134 for 2017 t65's too.

What is confusing to me is the 2016 T65's with SS premium deductions because the brief description above does not seem to address their "privileged" premium status in the Medicare system.

----------

My personal opinion is that CMS should not have put the $109 average comment in their information. I don't think they can compute a meaningful average right now.

Weak on math, cant figure the formula, but 70% of the average ought to be $109 and 30% ought to be around $126. Which goes to not quoting anumber, just leave it at Soc Security will tell you the premium amount.

LD, you got Part B in 2016, so if the Part B premium is being taken out of your check you'll be a $109er.:yes:

LD, you got Part B in 2016, so if the Part B premium is being taken out of your check you'll be a $109er.:yes:

kgmom's comment about health insurance not having to make sense may be appropriate here, but:
That doesn't make sense!!!! :GEEK:

2016 T65's got to be part of an exclusive group to help pay down excessive Medicare costs. Much handwringing about how all the rest is going to get paid for. Now CMS is going to REDUCE our premiums, letting the excess continue to grow? :twitchy:

kgmom's comment about health insurance not having to make sense may be appropriate here, but:
That doesn't make sense!!!! :GEEK:

2016 T65's got to be part of an exclusive group to help pay down excessive Medicare costs. Much handwringing about how all the rest is going to get paid for. Now CMS is going to REDUCE our premiums, letting the excess continue to grow? :twitchy:

Just be glad that you're "held harmless". Nobody's blaming you.:twitchy:

Back