Medicare Part B Late Enrollment

The question is two part.

Can she avoid the LEP for Medicare Part B if she continues on the employer plan until he retires?

As I understand, she can elect Part B now or later with impunity.

If she elects Part B now, but remains on the employer plan until her husband retires, she then has 63 days to sign up for gap or MA without penalty or underwriting.

If she waits until her husband retires to elect Part B she can still enroll in a gap or MA without penalty or underwriting.

Si or no?

The "Open Enrollment" period is as I stated above. Medicare and insurance companies make a distinction between "Open Enrollment" and "GI". They are not the same, they are two totally different things.

Agents who work the Med Supp market need to know the difference and not refer to "Open Enrollment" as "GI" when taking to insurance companies. The first six months following the effective date of Medicare Part B is not "GI".

Chazm is spot on in his explanation.

According to what I am seeing on the Medicare site there are several different enrollment periods, each with their own rules.

Initial Enrollment Period - 3 months before and after turning 65

Open Enrollment Period - Annual, this year from Oct 15 - Dec 7

General Enrollment Period - Jan 1 - March 31 for those who did not enroll during their IEP

Special Enrollment Period - Those who were covered by an employer plan when they turned 65

So if she does not enroll in A & B during her IEP she can enroll in A & B during an SEP without penalty.

She has a guaranteed right to buy a Medigap during her IEP, during a Trial Enrollment Period, SEP.

Any other GI options?

Thx Dayton.

I use that site from time to time but didn't search for this. Relied too much on medicare.gov.

Last I looked there are 31 codes for the different enrollment/election periods.

I'm waiting for AHIP to start testing us on these.

Back