Medicare Sales Allegation

It has never been an issue with the beneficiary. The carrier made it an issue, until they realized the situation did not call for what they were challenging. Every zero premium plan I've ever sold, I advised them to select direct bill, and they all understand why that option makes the most sense. When I have sold non-zero premium plans, I've advised they select one of the options other than direct bill. They understand why direct bill is not in their best interest.
Consumer confusion is one of the biggest complaints received by CMS. If I offer SS withdrawal as an option for payment on a zero premium plan, I must offer Auto Bank Draft and every other payment option. The point to my original post was simply this: Requiring the agent to offer a beneficiary the option of automatic bank draft for a zero premium plan contributes to confusion, not reduces it. Personally, I think the agent is doing himself and his client a disservice even when he advises SS withdrawal on zero-premium plans. If, for example, the plan does change and has a price increase, yet your attempts to contact your client for review fail, you have authorized the carrier to deduct from their SS next year an amount they possibly do not have or cannot afford. What if the financial consequence from this doesn't sit well with your client and they complain to CMS about you? Direct bill on a zero premium plan makes them responsible for choosing to pay any increase, or not, the following year regardless of whether you were successful in your attempt to review. Just my thoughts.
With a direct bill, the premium notice would be mailed to them, and if it goes up they can choose not to pay it.

Are you thinking of EFT?

It has never been an issue with the beneficiary. The carrier made it an issue, until they realized the situation did not call for what they were challenging. Every zero premium plan I've ever sold, I advised them to select direct bill, and they all understand why that option makes the most sense. When I have sold non-zero premium plans, I've advised they select one of the options other than direct bill. They understand why direct bill is not in their best interest.
Consumer confusion is one of the biggest complaints received by CMS. If I offer SS withdrawal as an option for payment on a zero premium plan, I must offer Auto Bank Draft and every other payment option. The point to my original post was simply this: Requiring the agent to offer a beneficiary the option of automatic bank draft for a zero premium plan contributes to confusion, not reduces it. Personally, I think the agent is doing himself and his client a disservice even when he advises SS withdrawal on zero-premium plans. If, for example, the plan does change and has a price increase, yet your attempts to contact your client for review fail, you have authorized the carrier to deduct from their SS next year an amount they possibly do not have or cannot afford. What if the financial consequence from this doesn't sit well with your client and they complain to CMS about you? Direct bill on a zero premium plan makes them responsible for choosing to pay any increase, or not, the following year regardless of whether you were successful in your attempt to review. Just my thoughts.
I think you are just WAY over thinking it. I’ve lived through people being on zero premium plans that went to premium plans on social security billing and guess what? No problems. No complaints. People are more likely to complain about a bill they have to pay than money taken before they ever see it.

There is a reason direct monthly billing is no longer an option for life insurance payments.

Just explain how it works. Explain why it’s important that they meet with you each year for an annual review in October. Recommend that they set it up for Social Security billing. No big deal.

............... Every zero premium plan I've ever sold, I advised them to select direct bill.......................

Caveat, not an agent.

So you leave them with the potential for lapsed medical coverage due to non-payment of their bill.

What do you not understand? All MA and MAPD plans are 12-month contracts that run from Jan 1st to Dec 31st each year. The zero premium is guaranteed for 12-months. Each October the members HAVE to review what their plan is doing for the next year. Many zero premium plans do add a premium in later years. That’s why when they sign up you have to explain all that to them. So they don’t sleep through the annual enrollment and not pay attention. They do have selective payment option because at some point they will likely have a payment unless they change plans. It will never happen to them without their knowledge unless they completely don’t understand how it all works.

Every one I ever sold I told them we have to select a payment option even though for the first 12-months there is no payment needed. I recommend that they choose social security withdrawal and they all do.
It’s not even an issue unless you make it an issue.

Thank you for those posts. More MAPD info I did not know.

Do MAPD plans have to send ANOC's like PDP's do?

Back