Medicare Supp's - Captive or Independent?

The 90% of agents who fail are not on this forum. Use your common sense. Get training and check other companies to see what they will give you in leads and training. Use this forum to find career agents who can give you info on were you can get good training. Save your money for the time you go on your own. Do not put your base capitol at risk. Getting started without training is a very, very big risk.

If you have any commission sales background and can read a brochure you can be independent. You also have to be self-motivated and self-disciplined to succeed as an indy.

The rabbi nailed it...

If you can be self motivated to keep busy with productive prospecting and selling, then you could consider going independent.

If you need structure and cannot set up your own, then go captive.

I went captive for just under 2 years before I went solo. I do not think I could have started independent. But, I know others who went indy first and did fine.

Up to you! Can you be your own boss?

I've got about 10 years of sales experience with 4 years as 100% commission and owned by own business for a number of years. I have no doubt that I can sell and know how to manage my time.....
The big question, which gets a lot of press on this forum, is the best way to market, prospect and get quality leads that can be converted to clients (consistently). I guess if I had the answer to that question I wouldn't need or be soliciting information on here.
I guess I don't know the process to go indy well enough to take the plunge.

Classicbc said:
I guess I don't know the process to go indy well enough to take the plunge.

if it wasn't for this statement, I'd say then absolutely you have the skill set to be independent. :)

But seriously, you might be fine. Hook up with a front marketing office. They can give you the tools and resources you need to get going right. And because you'd still be independent, there's no boss jumping on you of you have a bad sales week. Might be better for you then direct contracts at this point.

Be careful with some of the marketing organizations, though. Some are really outstanding. Others, not so much. The goal should be to get you what you need to make a sale and then support that sale and then stay out of your way. If they do anything else, proceed with caution.

Be careful with some of the marketing organizations, though. Some are really outstanding. Others, not so much. The goal should be to get you what you need to make a sale and then support that sale and then stay out of your way. If they do anything else, proceed with caution.

Thanks for all the advice! Any recommendations on the "outstanding" ones.

Back