• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Medigap Policies Face New Federal Nondiscrimination Rule

I think they are tying part B funding to med supps believing since B is funded, technically carriers benefit from it too

That is one way of looking at it, but Part B is currently paid by Medicare beneficiaries, not "pre-funded" by payroll taxes like Part A.

And Part B is not just required for Medigap but for MAPD as well.

Saying carriers benefit from funding B is a stretch.

Providers who receive federal funding are required to participate in Medicare and Medicaid.
For most beneficiaries, the government pays a substantial portion — about 75% — of the Part B premium, and the beneficiary pays the remaining 25%.

After clicking the link, I understand. Thanks for the enlightenment.

However, there is currently no direct funding/subsidy of Medigap premiums, which SHOULD indicate that Medigap plans will still be classified as "excepted coverage" and not subject to CMS oversight and manipulation.

Medigap is purely a private industry product regulated by the state.
Last edited:

Medigap Policies Face New Federal Nondiscrimination Rule​

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is changing its strategy for regulating Medicare supplement insurance policies and saying that the products are subject to the new federal health nondiscrimination rule.

The new HHS final rule implements section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act. The section prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability at health programs that receive federal funding.

Medicare supplement insurance policies, or Medigap policies, are state-regulated health insurance products that help 14 million consumers cover deductibles, co-payments and coinsurance charged by original Medicare. In the past, HHS has excluded Medigap policies and other products “excepted” from typical federal benefits regulations, such as hospital indemnity insurance, from most ACA-related regulations.

In the introduction to the new regulations, HHS officials say section 1557 applies to all forms of health insurance, including Medigap policies and excepted benefits policies.

The section also applies to Medicare Advantage plans, Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage and Affordable Care Act public health insurance exchange plans, officials say.

What it means: Agents and brokers who help clients with their Medigap coverage could end up running into federal officials more often.

The regulations: A preview version of the final health nondiscrimination rule appeared on the web. HHS is planning to publish the final rule in the Federal Register, an official regulatory publication, May 6.

Sections of the final rule deal with topics such as discrimination related to sex and gender, website accessibility and section 1557 nondiscrimination coordinators.

The rule is set to take effect 60 days after the official publication date.

Nondiscrimination requirements for insurance products not previously subject to federal health nondiscrimination regulations will apply to coverage starting on or after Jan. 1, 2025.

Insurers have succeeded at using lawsuits to block some federal regulations in the past, and previous presidential administrations have clashed over how to interpret and apply ACA section 1557.

If President Joe Biden is not reelected in November, his successor could choose an HHS secretary who would slow, block or change the new nondiscrimination requirements.

Medigap and nondiscrimination: Congress created the framework for the Medigap market in 1990.

Private insurers write the policies, based on standardized templates included in federal statutes. State insurance regulators oversee the insurers.

The insurers must sell the policies on a guaranteed-issue basis during a six-month open enrollment period after a consumer first becomes eligible for Medicare.

But, in many states, issuers can consider age and health status when selling policies to consumers who do not qualify for an open enrollment period or a special enrollment period.

HHS officials note in the introduction to the new regulations that Medigap issuers use medical underwriting.

Officials do not say whether they think ACA section 1557 could have any effect on age-related or disability-related Medigap policy underwriting.

[EXTERNAL LINK] - Medigap Policies Face New Federal Nondiscrimination Rule | ThinkAdvisor
Republicans are definitely pro-MAPD. They want private companies to provide their Medicare benefits rather than the govt. I thought that was a given.
Hence also the reason for all the anti MAPD fear porn articles that somarco spends all night jacking off to and posting on the forums