Medsupp Declines. . .

Ratings don't matter to me. Never have. Here is a partial list of A or A+ carriers that are either no longer around or have had other issues.

AIG
Baldwin United
Mutual Benefit
Executive Life

Financial rating is no guarantee. That being said, I won't use an unrated carrier in most cases. However I have quoted OIC but have yet to write a plan with them.

Since Manhattan Life and Family Life are sister companies, I expect Manhattan Life to raise their rates and become non-competitive just like Family Life.

No argument here. I figure they are toast in 2 years.

Since Manhattan Life and Family Life are sister companies, I expect Manhattan Life to raise their rates and become non-competitive just like Family Life.

There is no way they can sustain the rates they have in Indiana. They are unbeatable on price with the household discount for every situation I have looked at.

CSI has the next lowest rates (PA is around the same too). I was surprised to see that there is no rate increase this year here. I sold to someone that was on a Plan J and their rate went from ~$430 to $180/month on F. No problems with underwriting like I have seen others post about.

There is no way they can sustain the rates they have in Indiana. They are unbeatable on price with the household discount for every situation I have looked at.

CSI has the next lowest rates (PA is around the same too). I was surprised to see that there is no rate increase this year here. I sold to someone that was on a Plan J and their rate went from ~$430 to $180/month on F. No problems with underwriting like I have seen others post about.

What area and ages are you finding manhattan to be the lowest? Normally it's cigna and PA for me...

I am seeing Manahattan Life as the lowest price option all over Pennsylvania from ages 65 to about 75 when utilizing their family discount. You can quote them on ritter by changing the option to "family quote, applying together."

I believe you can get the discount if someone is married, even if they are not applying together, and also if someone over the age of 50 lives in the house (widow with sister, gay people, etc). Pretty sure there are other ways of getting it also.

Manhattan does have an E-app and their comp is good, but I have been reluctant to use them basically because of the folks on the forum here who are pretty convinced that they will blow up their rates and hence their foray into the Medigap market.

Anyone want to admit to trying them out? Thumbs up on underwriting, e-app submission, getting paid?

What area and ages are you finding manhattan to be the lowest? Normally it's cigna and PA for me...

PA is very close on male rates, a little better. Manhattan is very good on females. East central IN mainly Hancock, Henry, Rush counties. Household discount usually puts Manhattan over the top. Cigna is about 4th-5th

Last edited:
PA is very close. East central IN mainly Hancock, Henry, Rush counties. Household discount usually puts Manhattan over the top. Cigna is about 4th-5th

I haven't looked at the stats in a while but it seems those counties had a high ma penetration. I think I may have marketed in Henry or Rush and ran into a lot of retirement benes...

I haven't looked at the stats in a while but it seems those counties had a high ma penetration. I think I may have marketed in Henry or Rush and ran into a lot of retirement benes...

I've been targeting farmers from an existing P&C book at the agency I work at. I am new to the Medicare business, but have been studying up on it for a while.

For the most part, I am competing against Anthem, which is easy to do on price, but these people seem to think Anthem is God.

The other day I ended up having to do a AOR change for a husband and writing a new Anthem policy for his wife who is T65 because they were not comfortable with CSI even though it was $500+ less per year combined :no:

And yes, many factory retirees in Henry (was a big Chrysler factory there).

I've been targeting farmers from an existing P&C book at the agency I work at. I am new to the Medicare business, but have been studying up on it for a while.

For the most part, I am competing against Anthem, which is easy to do on price, but these people seem to think Anthem is God.

The other day I ended up having to do a AOR change for a husband and writing a new Anthem policy for his wife who is T65 because they were not comfortable with CSI even though it was $500+ less per year combined :no:

And yes, many factory retirees in Henry (was a big Chrysler factory there).

Sounds like a good gig. Anthem and Aarp are a little tougher to switch but I dont run into too many of them. I find a lot more colonial penn and mutual of omaha when I work central Indiana.

Back