MooP on MAPD

There were only two MAPD's on here and I don't know if I've ever heard of either of them (Kelsey Care and Cancer Resource Services/Optum). Were you helping make my point that they don't accept MAPD's or discredit it?

You made a definitive statement

I know most of the top cancer treatment centers won't allow any MA plans in the door

And it made me curious.

I guess "any MA" is limited to Advantage plans you have heard of.

You made a definitive statement

And it made me curious.

I guess "any MA" is limited to Advantage plans you have heard of.

I checked on Johns Hopkins and Cancer Treatment Centers of America and neither one accept Advantage Plans. I'd say those are 3 of the top cancer treatment facilities in the US and only one of them accepts two MA Plans of which one is a local plan that only services a handful of counties (Kelsey) and the other on the list doesn't list a service area. So ouch you got me. I should have known that The Great and Mighty Somarco was going to catch me on a technicality.

Some private skilled nursing homes/rehab don't take MA's either; prefer supps. I think Medicare approves the stay quicker than the scrutiny of an advantage carrier. Also, some medical equipment companies esp for motorized wheelchairs prefer med supps. Easier pay.

cedwards, you are welcome. Thanks for the compliment and doing my homework for me. I am planning a blogpost on this very topic (MA and cancer centers) as a result of this thread. MD Anderson advertises heavily here so that popped in my mind after reading your comment.

Sloan Kettering may not accept MA plans either. Their web page is ambiguous.

So no, I did not go looking for a specific cancer treatment center just to show you up.

And you're not paranoid if we really are talking about you.

The voices in my head told me to type this.

Policy doc, check this out.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/08/16/a-medicare-scam-that-just-kept-rolling/

http://medcitynews.com/2014/08/motorized-wheelchairs-became-best-medicare-scam-ever/

http://oig.hhs.gov/newsroom/news-releases/2011/wheelchair-medicare.asp

Last edited:
Just read those articles and they sure highlight how easy to defraud Medicare.

That's why the Med Advantage plans are such an obstacle in this realm. They really scrutinize those requests before they give authorization and because of the Fraud, Waste and Abuse policies set in place, I think they manage to squelch a lot of shady claims.

Which makes me wonder now about these cancer clinics...big profit there too and same scenario...those treatments have to be authorized by the MA-PD carriers.

I'm suspicious of healthcare in general now anyway...it is TOO profit driven.(just my opinion).

cedwards, you are welcome. Thanks for the compliment and doing my homework for me. I am planning a blogpost on this very topic (MA and cancer centers) as a result of this thread. MD Anderson advertises heavily here so that popped in my mind after reading your comment.

Sloan Kettering may not accept MA plans either. Their web page is ambiguous.

So no, I did not go looking for a specific cancer treatment center just to show you up.

Policy doc, check this out.

A Medicare scam that just kept rolling | The Washington Post

How motorized wheelchairs became the best Medicare scam ever

Spotlight On... Power Wheelchairs

No problem. I expect full credit in the blogspot for my efforts haha. Here's the links for Johns Hopkins. I had to do a live chat with a rep from Cancer Treatment Centers of America but below is a link to the Insurance Carriers they accept.

Insurance Contracts - The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Health System Participating Managed Care Health Plans
Insurance Plans accepted by Cancer Treatment Centers of America

And you're not paranoid if we really are talking about you.

The voices in my head told me to type this.

Isn't 8 AM a bit early to be hitting the sauce?

I hit the bottom link for cancer treatment centers...in the new window there was an alpha listing...I hit the appropriate letters like U for United Healthcare and H for Humana. No listing for them.
Did I do something wrong?

Back