NAIC to Hold Public Hearing in Austin On Commissions

Dang...they do not want input from the people that this is affecting....just got this..........will shoot some video though.......
-------------------------------------------------------

Scott, because of the agenda already being set, we will not be able to accommodate your request to present testimony. I will have a guest pass for you to attend the hearing. When you arrive at the hotel, please go to the NAIC Registration Desk to pick up the guest pass.

Tim

Sent: Monday, March 21, 2011 2:57 PM
To: Mullen, Timothy B.
Subject: thank you for call today about the NAIC Notice of Hearing

points that I would like to discuss...

1.What an agent does for the consumer who is seeking a health insurance plan and what options that are available to them.
2.What our commissions were last year and what they are now.
3.What agents are thinking and doing because of the commission cuts we took in Jan 2011 and the impact it could have to the consumer.
4.What needs to be done to keep health agents in the field giving non~bias recommendations for the good of the consumer.

Commissions add to the premium in its simplest form. But in an advanced form they do not, because the service that agents provide must come from somewhere. NAIC commissioners have been complaining that it would triple the work load of their complaint departments to handle the problems that agents have been resolving.

I agree that the NAIC doesn't want to hear crybaby agents. So... Talk to the NAIC in the way they want to hear it. Tell them that we lower their workload. Tell them that we represent the consumer and are consumer advocates. Tell them that we are INDEPENDENT and not tied to any particular insurer. Tell them that we are a voice for the small business and the family. Tell them that we are much more efficient than salaried staff at the insurer's home office. Tell them that we keep insurance companies honest by not selling products that don't meet the "smell test". Sheeeez, why am I telling you this. You already know this. Too bad Rockefeller doesn't.

Ann you are in the wrong business. You should be either a writer or politican. Too bad those stupid socalist will never understand the service that agents provide.

Last edited:
Ann you are in the wrong business. You should be either a writer or politican. Too bad those stupid socalist will never understand the service that agents provide.

Thanks for the compliment. I majored in journalism in college. When my scholarships ended I found myself in need of a real job, since writing pays about as poorly as art and music. I took a temporary job at an insurance agency filing and typing! Thirty-one years later, I'm still in insurance!

I want to say to everyone that posted here, that I admire you very much. I am impressed with your intelligence and your professionalism. I wish they would let Stibroker, Peeler, and the others speak. If you attend and rub shoulders with the other attendees, you will undoubtedly be "heard" at some level or another, so planning how you would state it is important. I think you've done your homework, and I'm thankful that you are representing our interests. To everyone who attends this meeting in Austin, thank-you for your efforts. We are truly appreciative.

well this should be fun.......

2011 Spring National Meeting
Austin, TX
NAIC HEARING
PROFESSIONAL HEALTH INSURANCE ADVISORS (EX) TASK FORCE
Sunday, March 27, 2011
3:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Hilton Austin - Austin Grand Ballroom Salon H - 6th Floor
ROLL CALL
Kevin M. McCarty, Chair
Florida
Wayne G. Goodwin, Vice Chair
North Carolina
Linda S. Hall
Alaska
Karen Weldin Stewart
Delaware
Michael T. McRaith
Illinois
Sandy Praeger
Kansas
James J. Donelon
Louisiana
Mila Kofman
Maine
Mike Chaney
Mississippi
Monica J. Lindeen
Montana
Brett J. Barratt
Nevada
Roger A. Sevigny
New Hampshire
Steve Kimbell
Vermont
Jane L. Cline
West Virginia
AGENDA
1. Opening Comments—Commissioner McCarty (FL) (3:30 – 3:40)
2. Testimony of Consumer Groups—Commissioner McCarty (FL) (3:40 – 4:05)

Lynn Quincy (Consumers Union)

Elizabeth Abbott (Health Access)

Judy Dugan (Consumer Watchdog)
3. Testimony of Insurance Companies—Commissioner McCarty (FL) (4:05 – 4:30)

Candy Gallaher, Vice President, State Policy, America's Health Insurance Plans

Catherine Bresler, Trustmark Insurance Company

Felicia Norwook, Aetna Midwest Regional President
4. Testimony of Agents Trade Associations—Commissioner McCarty (FL) (4:30 – 4:50)

Beth Ashmore, Ashmore & Associates Insurance Agency (NAHU)

Terry K. Headley, President of National Association of Insurance & Financial Advisors
Next Steps—Commissioner McCarty (FL) (4:50 – 5:30)
W:\National Meetings\2011\Spring\Agenda\PHIA.doc
© 2011 National Association of Insurance Commissioners

Back