• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Need Help!! Just Starting, What to Expect!?!

Your success will be ALL about the amount of work you put in, the amount and quality of leads you can pick up from a lead generating company and your closing ratio.

If you can see enough people each week, you can hit good high numbers.

It's all about #'s and your closing system.

Like everyone else has said, those numbers aren't likely, but it has happened before.

Good luck

Josh

If you want to see what is really out there, put your resume out on Careerbuilder or look for insurance jobs. Interview as much as possible and then weigh out your options.

I know this is late, but everyone on here is giving you negative advice. DONT LISTE TO ANY OF THEM. The answer to your question is this, you can make as much or as little as you want. If you bust your ass and do whatever it takes, the potential is limitless. If you listen to all of these negative comments made by lazy and negative individuals, thats what you will end up as. Take the leap, makes risks, and do WHATEVER it takes to reach your goals. Then you can come back here and prove everyone of these people wrong. Best of luck and hope you excel.
Colton

----------

Love the way you worded that. If you bust your ass in the early stages, it will pay off down the road. Good advice!
Colton

Wow. Been licensed a week and already giving advice. Actually, that's not advice. It's a motivational pep talk... to someone who isn't here anymore.

:1rolleyes:

My ideal situation: I would like to be making 400K a year in 10 years minimum. Can I expect that to happen in this industry? And my last question, and forgive me for rambling, if you had the choice (in my situation, being that of a recent college grad) to take a position with Eli Lilly 50K base plus uncapped commission or Life Insurance residual commission being young and driven, what do YOU think is a better option for the LONG TERM?

Sorry for so many words...thank you in advance for your time.

I haven't sold much Permanent Life, I'm not thinking the renewals are all that high.....first year is good, and you just have to keep selling lots of it. Referrals should come with time.

Eli Lilly, I am sure would be a great place to start. I would think you get health insurance, 401K match, other benefits, steady money, and if you are good at sales, good commissions.

Your plan to intern and interview and see how it works out is a sound one.

Congrats on passing the test.

Last edited:
Sorry for trying to be positive??? Think about it this way. Out of all the posts on this forum how many of them say "95% fail out", "you won't make it past 1 year", or "this is a difficult business". As I don't have the exact statistical numbers, we can both agree its a lot. I am the sort of person to give 100% positive advice no matter what, because no matter what field of expertise your in, there is no limit to what you can achieve. I'm not here to cause drama, or argue, I'm too busy selling.

Sorry for trying to be positive??? Think about it this way. Out of all the posts on this forum how many of them say "95% fail out", "you won't make it past 1 year", or "this is a difficult business". As I don't have the exact statistical numbers, we can both agree its a lot. I am the sort of person to give 100% positive advice no matter what, because no matter what field of expertise your in, there is no limit to what you can achieve. I'm not here to cause drama, or argue, I'm too busy selling.

Too bad you didn't give him that 100% positive advice 5 years ago when he posted. He was gone shortly after. There's being positive...and there's being realistic. Most that enter this business DO fail. That's not being negative...it's being truthful.

“Motivation alone is not enough. If you have an *** and you motivate him, now you have a motivated ***.” ― Jim Rohn

ColtonSturgill,

Today, you are in Phase 1 of the business: Wide-eyed enthusiasm. If you keep making good sales and build on good disciplines, you'll probably be in that stage for quite some time.

But Phase 2 will quickly creep in, depending on the firm you're with: complicated sophistication. You'll be way too distracted with all the things you think you need to learn so you can earn more and be of better service to your clients: licenses, designations, association memberships, different company products, educational courses, selling systems, marketing methods, etc.

Phase 2 is where people begin to enter into the "House of Pain".

Many producers stay in complicated sophistication for the rest of their lives and don't even realize that there's a 3rd phase: mature simplicity. This is where you understand the depths of this business, and you streamline your entire process of doing business: your client acquisition processes, fact-finding, presenting, obtaining referrals, public relations, etc.

The reason I'm typing this out... is because until you've past stage 1, you cannot advise anyone about the business for someone originally asking "what can I expect?". You simply don't know what you don't know, therefore are not qualified to give such advice.

Now, I predict that you may enter into the House of Pain yourself, unless you're on a solid track to help you avoid all the distractions and diffusion out there. That, or you're only selling supplemental health policies and you'll be back asking for other firms to join in about 6 months from now. How do I know? Because of the many others that have come here before you.

So, "being positive" can also mean being delusional. It's generally good to have a positive and optimistic attitude, but don't delude yourself.

Luckily for me i don't "belong" to any companies at all. I am 100% an independent agency, and own and operate my own business. With that being said, there is no limit to where I can go, and I won't let a "guru" of an online forum tell me where I'm going to end up. If you didn't like what i had originally posted, you should've moved on and forgot about it. Im not going to let you define what "stage" I'm in. It is very apparent you aren't willing to do the things that push you to the next level. Now i am not at all talking down to you, i bet you have had great success. So let me do what i do, and ill let you do your thing. As i said before, i don't have time for this... I'm too busy selling. I will not be replying after this post. Have a great rest of the day, and i wish you the best of luck.
Colton

Back