Need Help With Major Medical in SC

I almost never deal with major medical, but I have a referral that needs some assistance. She is currently being covered by Cobra (at $1500 a month) for her family, but they will be losing it in December.

Mother 51 y/o
- Insulin Dependent Diabetic

Father 51 y/o
- Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetic

Daughter 17 y/o
- Perfect Health

Any ideas for this family?

Mother and father are uninsurable and no child only plans for the daughter. They'll have to expire COBRA in December and either get a conversion plan or go into the risk pool.

what if all of them apply with a individual company knowing the parents will be declined and the company has to issue the kid.......

Mother and father are uninsurable and no child only plans for the daughter. They'll have to expire COBRA in December and either get a conversion plan or go into the risk pool.

what if all of them apply with a individual company knowing the parents will be declined and the company has to issue the kid.......

Was told by GR that they changed their position and will not issue child-only if they applied with parents, even if declined. Other companies are doing the same as far as I know.

I appreciate all the help. I figured the SCHIP was going to be the only option, but they cannot afford it. ($1000 / month for wife alone!)

Their net household income is just over $2000 a month...so I'm stuck looking for non-traditional options.

As much as I hate to ask, are there any limited benefit plans that would provide any coverage at all? Short of loading them up with inexpensive indemnity plans and critical illness / cancer policies (which isn't going to accomplish much), I don't really know where to head with this!

Sometimes the best thing you can do for a prospect is to walk away rather than trying to sell them something. Given their income & health issues, a good discount plan like Careington is probably the best you can do.

Also refer them to Coverage for All.

I would suggest a family Limited Benefit Policy from January to June 2011. Then they would be eligible for the new HHS/PCIP high-risk pool. The cost for the STM and the high-risk pool will be less than the $1,500 @ month the family is paying now. Good luck Shortcut!
-Allen

I almost never deal with major medical, but I have a referral that needs some assistance. She is currently being covered by Cobra (at $1500 a month) for her family, but they will be losing it in December.

Mother 51 y/o
- Insulin Dependent Diabetic

Father 51 y/o
- Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetic

Daughter 17 y/o
- Perfect Health

Any ideas for this family?

Which STM plan can be issued to an insulin dependent diabetic? STM is considered creditable coverage in many states which may DQ them from PCIP.

Back