New Life Agent in NC - Major Anxiety

Yes, the last two post by MM hit it on the nail. Demand or should you reguest an active book of accounts before you sign up! Once you start it is too late!

It is your job to make appointments, and yes I find the BO will scheldule appointments at the workplace during normal working hours. How to scheldule appointments, well the first thing is ask for an appointment, it really helps. It all breaks down how you ask, do not beg but offer up something such as life coverage and family protection as the reason why they should agree to have the appointment. Don't be afraid to say things like, "If we/I can meet your requirements will you then purchase?", that is once you get started. Don't be afraid to ask for an appointment and don't fear to place stipulations and reasonable expectations to the appointment.

Have you had any training yet? What do you know about the product line? The names thing is interesting but I would hope at the same time you are gathering names they are training you about products.

Often when attending an educational meeting, I would jot down names of people who would benefit from what I was learning.

Remember one thing above all else. YOU are your business, you do not work for the sales manager, he works for you. If not, he's in the way and don't waste your time. Don't be a doormat while you learn. The only person in the room that cares if you make it is you.

One thing you may not be privy to - these people are DESPERATE for new recruits - so get the mindset that you are dealing from a position of strength...

When I started (in '91 w/Pru) they gave us a "book of business" to call on and service. It gave you the opportunity to get "practice".

Met used to do this to - Chumps?

At the very least, they must have some orphans? (clients w/no agent)

I was wondering if this was the case. I initially thought that I had some good background in management and that was why they contacted me out of the blue. I wasn't actively seeking employment in this industry. In fact, I had never even considered it simply because it wasn't what I had done in my career. But now I wonder what it was they saw in me as far as my skillset that made them contact me and continue to work with me when they knew that I was new to this area.

I suppose it's reasonable to assume that it is a combination of both - they have a strong need for new agents and they saw some skills in my background that would translate well to this industry. I've been very excited about it and look forward to the opportunity, but this initial stress and anxiety really caught me off guard!

What James said - type of a "5 BIGGEST LIFE INSURANCE MISTAKES" guilde and hit the phones - offer to send over a report that show the 5 biggest mistakes people make when buying life. Then work it from there.

Point well taken. Thank you! It's just a little tough being so green. I'm not always certain what is acceptable and what is not. I've not received any formal "sales" training yet, so I'm reluctant to really put myself "out there", yet I need to make some contacts and get their permission to call on them for a presentation in the near future. I'm sure most everyone here has been in a similar situation at one point. I appreciate evryone's views.

I'll be very surprised if you get any "sales training". You'll have to get that on your own.

They will bombard you with "product" training, which leaves you like a guy that knows a hundred different positions to make love in - but doesn't know any girls!

Their "theory" is that their "name" and "products" are so wonderful, that they can train a chimpanzee to go out and sell them. Honestly.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way, hence the 98.8% washout rate. But, they have the business that was sold to your family/neighbors/friends at church, etc.

Point well taken. Thank you! It's just a little tough being so green. I'm not always certain what is acceptable and what is not. I've not received any formal "sales" training yet, so I'm reluctant to really put myself "out there", yet I need to make some contacts and get their permission to call on them for a presentation in the near future. I'm sure most everyone here has been in a similar situation at one point. I appreciate evryone's views.

Go down to your local library and spend a day at the reference desk, you'll likely dig up more names then you could ever visit.

Go to the Courthouse and get a list of new home purchases and business start ups.

Go door to door in your neighborhood and let everyone know you are now a expert in life insurance and you can answer any question they have. Pass out a flyer with rates, of course don't use the companies name on the flyer!

It is all about activity!

Have you had any training yet? What do you know about the product line? The names thing is interesting but I would hope at the same time you are gathering names they are training you about products.

Often when attending an educational meeting, I would jot down names of people who would benefit from what I was learning.

Remember one thing above all else. YOU are your business, you do not work for the sales manager, he works for you. If not, he's in the way and don't waste your time. Don't be a doormat while you learn. The only person in the room that cares if you make it is you.

No, I haven't received any training yet - in sales techniques or products. That's what is making this tough. I just passed my state exams. But, I don't have to go on appointments by myself. I will go with my sales manager and he will do the talking as I observe. I only have to make contacts at this point in time and ask if they will allow me to schedule a little meeting/presentation when I do sign on with the agency.

Man...one of these days I'm just gonna do this so I can post the results. Hit businesses with a flyer and quote cards. Walk into every business, hand out the flyer, say you are offering free quotes on the newest life products on the market.

You'd do very well.

I was wondering if this was the case. I initially thought that I had some good background in management and that was why they contacted me out of the blue.

I suppose it's reasonable to assume that it is a combination of both - they have a strong need for new agents and they saw some skills in my background that would translate well to this industry.

I'm sure you're a fine individual with a strong background, and I hate to burst your bubble, but...

This is a BRUTAL industry. Recruiting therefore, is BRUTALLY HARD for these managers, who have a number to meet.

They would hire anyone who could get a license, and pass the background check. If they can fog a mirror, so much the better.

Not trying to discourage you, just "tellin' it like it is."

Back