Obtaining insurance license after a bankruptcy within last 2 years !?

Advisor06

Guru
100+ Post Club
Can someone with a bankruptcy within the last two years obtain their insurance license? Also, will they have any difficulty getting appointments with companies to sell life or annuities?

Can someone with a bankruptcy within the last two years obtain their insurance license? Also, will they have any difficulty getting appointments with companies to sell life or annuities?
Chapter 13 will be easier than 7 but you'd want to have a repayment plan that's set up and paid on for at least 6 months either way.

I've run into this a handful of times and appointments largely are based on the carrier.

Annuities are harder than life.

Chapter 13 will be easier than 7 but you'd want to have a repayment plan that's set up and paid on for at least 6 months either way.

I've run into this a handful of times and appointments largely are based on the carrier.

they are telling me ch 7 with no repayment plan. Do you think they can get the license at all? Will carriers really have a problem with this?

The person I’m trying to bring on as a producer.

Many states let the person submit the application for consideration before taking the exam. Call the insurance dept and ask how to submit an application for pre-approval consideration, etc

I assume the bankruptcy was discharged.
A State that will allow someone with a bankruptcy to sell insurance, does not mean a carrier will appoint them.
Years ago at my old company a bankruptcy was a non starter.

The person I’m trying to bring on as a producer.
Can't speak to PA DOI but in TN, as long as there was no insurance company funds involved, you can get a license. They will have to provide an affidavit stating the details. It will be up to the companies as to how they want to address it. Some will contract on an ass earned and others will even give advance.

While a 13 would seem to be preferable, at least to the person filing who wants to do right by the creditors, a & is actually viewed more favorable by many companies. In a 13th, a person can turn around and convert to a 7. Wit a 7, it is a done deal.

Back