• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Ordinary Income or Capital Gains

Ordinary income. Trust me on that one. I sold my Allstate book in 2010 & was told it was Capital gains and filed accordingly. IRS say NO! ! ! I fought them for 3 years & finally had to pay them. Talk with your CPA but plan on the income route vs. CG . Good Luck !

" I was recently told it was Capital Gains " The IRS may have changed the rules on this but I would talk to your CPA on this one. I called the IRS before I filed my taxes on this & was told by one of their reps that the income would be treated as CG. I wrote the Reps. name, his badge number , date & time I talked with him, EVERYTHING down. I used his info when I filed & when the IRS said I filed it incorrrectly I gave them this info that told me that their reps were there to help however, their advice was not always correct & it was up to the taxpayer to verify & file accordingly. Iwould tell you again to talk to your tax professional.

Lightpost is giving you good advice. Just like you are a professional, so is your CPA/Tax Advisor. So if you ended up in the same situation, you would not have had to pay the IRS back out of your own pocket.

Back