"Other Than That We're Healthy"

I am willing to give some folks a pass. If they have always had employer group health, the concept of medical underwriting is foreign to them.

With more folks losing jobs and group health this is going to continue to be a problem.

But sometimes there is no excuse. Like the former client who calls every time he and his wife want to have a baby. They buy health insurance, get pregnant, deliver, then drop the coverage.

All this was before Obamacrap of course.

He called a few months ago looking for insurance. Had to tell him maternity coverage is almost impossible to find and way overpriced.

No problem, they are not wanting any more kids for now. But he thinks his wife might have Lupus and needed to buy insurance.

Sent him a link to PCIP.

I got an email from a lady over the holiday, saying she urgently needed health insurance. Her divorce will be final the first week of January. She doesn't want COBRA from her husband's employer, but wants "her own plan".

Rather than chide her for waiting so long, I tried to help her. But she was one of those with a "touch of diabetes". Just oral medications, not injectible insulin makes it a "touch of diabetes", I guess. And she had a touch of smoking, a touch of high blood pressure, a touch of high cholesterol, and a touch of too many donuts at 5'0" and 240 lbs. I had a touch of impatience and told her to take COBRA.

I don't ask "how's your health" I ask what meds they are on and last hospital visit. I still get to the app (life) and we get to something like Ever used oxygen. Then it is "Oh, I forgot, I have a tank, but don't really use it, much" Or my doctor says that I have X but I know he is wrong.

Over the years, my "gotcha" moment is sleep apnea. It's Amazing how many people don't think of sleep apnea as a medical condition, and don't disclose during my prescreen. How is it that a machine on your face, every night, that keeps you alive...... is easily forgotten?

Why didn't the employer coverage work out? Do you know how long it didn't work out? Are you possibly going to do a bunch of work and have them be eligble in March for employer paid

He works for a small private school. They offer Concentra Urgent Care Centers. The couple thought it was insurance until Christmas Party conversation cleared it up.

Finished writing a life app a few years ago. After the prospect signs the app he tells me, BTW I had a cancerous growth removed two years ago. How do you not remember that? I gave him credit for at least coughing it up before I was about to leave. Another client never mentioned treatment for cancer of the larynx----the MIB report advised me of that. Selective memory?

Once the cancer is removed they think they are cured, especially if the doc tells them "we got it all". If they have no symptoms they think they no longer have a medical issue.

Seems only the ones who have resigned themselves that they are dying believe they are actually sick.

We did a list bill (I hate those, but the client liked the price). Anyway, 7 apps, 7 declines, how can that be? According to the owner of the business, no one had any health issues. Yeah right. Of course they won't do a group plan because she says no one will buy it unless she pays 100%. She says her employees know how to get on Medicaid (these people's payroll is around 50K average). I am amazed how people get around the system here.

No wonder half of Americans think guaranteed issue coverage with low premiums is possible. All along they've thought insurance companies should insure them (and their pre-existing conditions) without asking any health questions or rating accordingly. .

Latest posts

Back