Part C is for the birds.

90% of my appointments are people who already have a Medicare plan, either a MA plan or a supplement.

The Medicare and You book helps to illustrate the difference in supplements and MA plans.

Greensky nailed it. Is it in the clients best interest to have 3 different appointments to talk about 3 different products? If they do not like the first product that you had the appointment set for, then you move on to others in your bag. Medicare wants to prevent a bait and switch situation, hence the reason for "multiple appointments".

Lastly, this BS that if I go to see a client about one plan but can't show him another more appropriate plan is just that. I have an appointment in 2 weeks with a client in Santa Barbara. They go to a very large medical group and can be seen either with an HMO or a PFFS. According to CMS, I need two appointments if I want to show them both plans!

Rick

I would like to read the CMS language about not being able to show two plans. Where can I find that? Are you saying that the only plan that you can show is the one and only that you called about as part of the appointment. That if you set an appointment in regard to plan which is HMO and the clients doctor is not in the network that you have to set another appointment to show a PFFS plan? Or if you find out during the meeting with the client that they would be better off in a Special Needs Plan that you can't show it to them without another appointment?

I don't know. I am asking.

Winter

I would like to read the CMS language about not being able to show two plans. Where can I find that? Are you saying that the only plan that you can show is the one and only that you called about as part of the appointment. That if you set an appointment in regard to plan which is HMO and the clients doctor is not in the network that you have to set another appointment to show a PFFS plan? Or if you find out during the meeting with the client that they would be better off in a Special Needs Plan that you can't show it to them without another appointment?

I don't know. I am asking.

Winter
I don't remember where I read this but I think that among those of us who do a lot of MA plans, it's almost common knowledge and basically ignored.

When an agent makes an appointment it's for a specific product. I think (key here, is the word "think") that if you change products in the middle of an appointment it is considered cold calling.

CMS is like a manager who thinks he knows better than the salesperson how to sell but has never been out of an office.

Rick

I think it is ridiculous also, but its true, I got information from a good source that CMS is going to crack down on this offense harshly.

When complaints were filed last year and they questioned the Medicare recipient they found this happened a lot of the time. The representative came by and I didn't really like what he was offering, he said he had other options, so I chose the plan that he thought would suit me better.

I didn't make any of these rules, I don't like many of these rules.

You may do what you feel comfortable with, but I am going to tell you some good honest agents are going to be hit hard.

I think I have read recently that some agents are selling PFFS in other states, how is this done?

I think I have read recently that some agents are selling PFFS in other states, how is this done?
Since face to face is not a CMS requirement, many of the carriers (Pyramid, SH, etc) allow on-line enrollment.

I did a bunch of enrollments with Pyramid and never met the client. I would do the entire presentation over the phone with the material in front of the client. The enrollment would be electronic with the verification done on a conference call.

Pyramid, Health Net, and other carriers allow for on-line enrollment this year. The only change is that the verification call is done without the agent being present.

Rick

I don't remember where I read this but I think that among those of us who do a lot of MA plans, it's almost common knowledge and basically ignored.

When an agent makes an appointment it's for a specific product. I think (key here, is the word "think") that if you change products in the middle of an appointment it is considered cold calling.

CMS is like a manager who thinks he knows better than the salesperson how to sell but has never been out of an office.

Rick

I dont have any problem with the idea that there should be no bait and switch but if you approach a person with an hmo plan and their doc is not in the network and so you show them plan b or if you learn that they have a condition that might qualify them for a more appropriate special needs plan then that is different. Bait and switch only occurs when you do not have the original product to offer or try to bump them off of it even though it may be suitable. Of course, then there is what CMS thinks which may or may not be fair and logical.

Winter

CMS must not be cracking down too hard. I watched another agents seminar today and he said at the end that if anyone needed help enrolling that they would help them.

I thought we couldn't take enrollments at seminar events? Where the hell are the secret shoppers?

CMS must not be cracking down too hard. I watched another agents seminar today and he said at the end that if anyone needed help enrolling that they would help them.

I thought we couldn't take enrollments at seminar events? Where the hell are the secret shoppers?
We could help them with the enrollment. We just couldn't leave with the application. The client could mail it to the company anytime and would have to be accepted.

But that's all in the past. It's full speed ahead for 6 weeks and somewhat slower for the 3 months after that.

Hope I can find the time for golf in between all the business!

Rick

Back