pre-existing windshield with hail damage

I’m not sure that phrase applies in this scenario but I understand your meaning. Thanks for the referral. Yes, unfortunately we live in a society where friendships are determined by what kind of car you drive. Are you an insurance agency CEO?

Thanks. There are at least 30 dents on the hood, roof, doors, and trunk. Salvage value is prob around 600.

I don't think that your car is a candidate for paintless dent removal. Too involved. But let's say for argument's sake that it is, the bodyman is likely to spend at least 2 hours per section. Assuming that the shop's labor rate is $50 per hour, that's $400 + the cost of the windshield. Your deductible is $1000 so you get nothing.

Now assume that the damage can't be fixed by paintless dent removal. You're probably looking at $2000 or better just for the dents and repaint. Even without the windshield your car is a total loss because the repairs exceed the value of the car.

Your claim would be the value of the car $1200 less your deductible of $1000 = $200.

Any damage to your car, whether by collision or other than collision, is not worth paying for the comprehensive or collision coverage.

I suggest you shop around for a windshield. You can probably get a Chinese after-market for under $200 and just keep driving your car, dings and all, until it wears out. At 55,000 miles it will probably last another 150,000 miles.

Along the way, if you want to get adventurous, get some Bondo and some sand paper, fill in the dents and smooth them out. There are probably youtube videos that will show you how. Then get a cheap paint job at MAACO.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, adjusterjack. I really appreciate your reply and the information. It's really helpful.

Someone I know who works at a repair shop mentioned if I make a claim and it's declared a loss, I'm owed the value minus the deductible and could still drive the car. The title would become a salvaged title and I'm not sure, but I think I would have to buy back the car to continue coverage.

If we stick with the above numbers, I'd be in the hole a few hundred bucks:
$1200 car deemed totaled minus a $1000 deductible plus $200 windshield plus $600 buyback = $600

The only way I'd consider this is if the value of the car were more than my estimate of $1200. First though, I don't even know if that's possible. I'm not concerned about having a salvaged title if the only thing that matters is that the resale value is essentially $0. Hey, maybe that would help me with taxes?

Sometimes but something like this would be liability only. They wouldnt provide physical damage. Some carriers I've run across over the years abolsolutely would with the caviot being there would need to be some appraisal or substantiation if the insured wanted to expect any payment on a loss... what was told to me years ago on a salvage title N.A.D.A. is pronounced nada.

I've had a few drivable car situations-hail or collision damage. I believe State Farm always used to give me two prices, One for if they took the car and one for if I kept it. If I kept it, they would continue my liability and towing coverage, but I could not have comp or collision. Seems like there was a "golf ball" we kept for awhile and then traded for something else.

Mechanical condition is the consideration for me there. If the car is in good mechanical shape, I tend to lean towards driving out the cost of repairs I've made.

Thanks, all! This is very helpful. I checked the price from those sites and it's possible the price is as high as 3k. Will see what my options are after meeting with the adjustor and appraiser.

Sometimes but something like this would be liability only. They wouldnt provide physical damage. Some carriers I've run across over the years abolsolutely would with the caviot being there would need to be some appraisal or substantiation if the insured wanted to expect any payment on a loss... what was told to me years ago on a salvage title N.A.D.A. is pronounced nada.

I had a Volvo 240 years ago. Windshield undamaged but pitted trunk, roof and hood.

Before hail might have been worth $3,000. After hail, not much.

Mechanically fine. My agent said if I filed a claim carrier would issue a check in exchange for a salvage title. He said no one would insure it since salvage usually means not road worthy.

I took the check. When the "new" title came in I sold it to a junkyard for $400. Bought a "new used" Volvo.

Had a thing for Volvo's at that time. Owned 3 of them (not at the same time).

Back