Question Regarding LIFE INSURANCE and NICOTINE

What if he did? Would a smoker rate still be fair?

I would go by the underwriting guidelines and answer the questions honestly. When I was at an agency one guy had a cigar on New Years and wanted to get non-smoker rates so he wanted someone else to do the oral swab for him. Thankfully the manager unleashed hell on everyone thinking about that which was only appropriate, but was it fair to the guy getting a life policy? Absolutely, he's an agent and he should play by the rules. If he didn't want smoker rates, he shouldn't have smoked.

That being said, if it was explained to an underwriter, the underwriter might have a different opinion.

Most companies go by the rule of 1 cigarette in the past 12 months = smoker. It's not complicated.

I've replaced 2 policies in the last 10 days simply because FE agents wrote smokers as non smokers. Once you explain how it will be handled at death they don't want the policy.

One guy only smoked cigars (5 every day) and said the agent called his manager to "make sure" he could write him as a non smoker. Manager gave the approval.

I called the underwriters of the company with him to ask and they gave him a completely different answer. Cigar smokers get smoker rates. They advised him to keep the policy and take his chances since he was 14 months in. The client saw that as more lies to cover up the 1st lie. He canceled.

What was crazy is there are several companies that really do give cigar smokers the non smoker rates. We simply went with one of those.

Most companies go by the rule of 1 cigarette in the past 12 months = smoker. It's not complicated.

I've replaced 2 policies in the last 10 days simply because FE agents wrote smokers as non smokers. Once you explain how it will be handled at death they don't want the policy.

One guy only smoked cigars (5 every day) and said the agent called his manager to "make sure" he could write him as a non smoker. Manager gave the approval.

I called the underwriters of the company with him to ask and they gave him a completely different answer. Cigar smokers get smoker rates. They advised him to keep the policy and take his chances since he was 14 months in. The client saw that as more lies to cover up the 1st lie. He canceled.

What was crazy is there are several companies that really do give cigar smokers the non smoker rates. We simply went with one of those.

The company underwriters were the ones that advised him to keep the policy?????:1baffled:

Absolutely. I couldn't believe it. The guy is going to file a complaint to try to get all his premiums returned.

well he is in his 2 year contestable period...who says the applicant can not contest the policy.......hahahahaha

Absolutely. I couldn't believe it. The guy is going to file a complaint to try to get all his premiums returned.

If H. O. underwriting is advising that, then the corruption probably goes to the top levels.

Reminds of the time years ago when Independent Life came out with a 2 year ROP product. The DM told me, "Now we can do legally what we have done all along, "We always answer all health questions"no" and if the person dies in the first two years the family gets the premiums back." :no:

IMO underwriters are fully aware of what people are doing and the percentage of real smokers who get issued as non smokers.

Back