Rant about Unicare

Why are you sending them these cases? Anyone who needs APS, good luck getting that issued or issued w/o restriction and or rate ups.

Their u/w is very fast if you know the process and follow it. The reality is if you are getting APS the odds of APS issuing preferred is very slim maybe you are putting the business in the wrong spot.

About 10-20% of my Unicare cases have an APS pulled... the business is going to the right place... One of those mentioned was of no fault of my own. The client called me after submitting a clean application and said, "oh by the way... my child has this condition... should I call Unicare?"

I would say that half of the cases where an APS is pulled, Unicare has issued preferred... When it comes to underwriting, they are much slower than Aetna for example. My average Aetna case is issued in a few days...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
low, what contract u on? they are about middle of the road

20%...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
agree tx, but sometimes it happens... if a client has the most slight of condition i most times move on to another carrier, but sometimes it happens and i know it does to u to..... based on their current rating structure and restrictive underwriting they are getting less of my biz.. but the product is tops in texas based on bennies

family plans do not get issued quickly.. my avg family, 45 m/f 2 kids.... thats 3 weeks to a month or longer right there at least 60% time with almost clean app

Agreed... I've run into the same issue. It's annoying when a person that's got one foot in the grave gets issued with Aetna in two weeks, but Unicare pulls APS for farting more than 3 times last month...

It's a give and take situation with carriers... They all have their flaws. It really is a shame with the product offering Unicare has with the new FIT plans that the underwriting can't move a bit faster.

Last edited:
The client called me after submitting a clean application and said, "oh by the way... my child has this condition... should I call Unicare?"
Unbelievable.

Not 100% the clients fault the applications are poorly written and impossible to fill out correctly anyhow. Complete garbage.

Unicare is real good about rescinding and post claim underwriting. They underwrite for 2 years if you have a good size claim roll in.

Back