Selling to Family members

wehotex

Guru
1000 Post Club
Houston, Tex
I don’t come from a large family tree, so I’ve only signed my parents, one uncle and one cousin and her husband. They have all had very positive experiences on the Medicare Advantage plans that I put them on until recently. Both my cousin and her husband have both experienced back problems and poor mobility issues. Her husband decided to have an elective back surgery in the nearest major city (he has Aetna PPO) last October. Upon discharge, he was admitted to a SNF in his hometown. My cousin and husband patient opined that he was discharged TOO SOON to go home from that SNF. I’ve had a few other customers in a similar situation.
Once he was home, he kept her awake A LOT! As I mentioned, her mobility is limited and he is a Big Baby.
Things got so bad at home that he was told that he would need to receive a 2nd surgery. Cousin and her husband both felt the 2nd surgery would not have been needed had the SNF not discharged him so abruptly.
Then Readmitted to an out-of-town major hospital for another surgery (a 3-week stay).
He has been in a local SNF since late December and has made extremely little progress with his therapy and now they are discharging him even after an appeal. She is now going to talk with a lawyer about getting him on Medicaid. Shit’s getting bad.

At AEP time, all they talked about was how they would have to get out of Aetna and go to Original Medicare to receive decent care. She had already called “Medicare” to find out about stand-alone PDPs. I explained the options (even GI for Med Supp moving out of area). I honestly felt “awkward” about trying to talk them into staying with Aetna for fear of appearing to deaf to what his pitiful experience was or seeming like comp superseded blood.

Fast Forward
This whole time, I have been under the impression that they were BOTH on Orig Medicare since they were disenrolled from my BOB.

I noticed her text that read that she was being charged “a little under $200/day” for SNF. Since OM copay is exactly $200, I verified online that they were both enrolled in the “new” PPO that Aetna invents every year to make us agents miserable.
There were honestly VERY minor differences between these 2 PPO options.
My cousin is the type of cousin who never forgets my birthday and other occasions. I honestly feel some relief that I no longer will feel guilt for any of his bad experiences. I’m not even upset about it.

But, it does seem strange to me that they haven’t mentioned that they are BOTH still with Aetna PPO, the plan that they were dissing and trying to get out of.
Another agent once told me that she would not sell to certain family members or friends. Now I get it.

My cousin and husband patient opined that he was discharged TOO SOON to go home from that SNF
Down here an SNF is just another name for a nursing home. And it sounds like your cousin was discharged because he wouldn't follow his rehab plan. Medicare and nursing homes came be pretty tough on that.

I'm a full time caregiver for my wife. She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's seventeen years ago. She's been on hospice for ten of those years and so far has only spent two nights in a nursing home. So I know more than most about caregiving, nursing homes and such just from living it.

It sounds like your cousin needs help with the caregiving part. There are people and organizations that can help with than. Not everyone is cut out to do it.

Also, you need to tell cuz-in-law that he needs to put on his big boy pants and toughen up. Getting old can be a bitch.

Good luck.

I don’t think one person of any knowledge ever disputed if ma or mapd had better coverage . What’s always been disputed can a husband / wife afford $300-$400 each a month ( med sup premium + $230 part b premium plus $50 for good pdp plan plus potentially $1500 more than mapd part d out of pocket ) . It’s like the avg commercial deductible is $4000 or so . Sure I’d love to have a $100 a month deductible but I can’t afford it . With inflation going wild people looking to cut costs and their healthcare no exception.

I don’t think one person of any knowledge ever disputed if ma or mapd had better coverage . What’s always been disputed can a husband / wife afford $300-$400 each a month ( med sup premium + $230 part b premium plus $50 for good pdp plan plus potentially $1500 more than mapd part d out of pocket ) . It’s like the avg commercial deductible is $4000 or so . Sure I’d love to have a $100 a month deductible but I can’t afford it . With inflation going wild people looking to cut costs and their healthcare no exception.

Yep. You nailed it. My cousin and her husband are ALWAYS griping that they have no money despite an inheritance from their mother and double incomes- Even when they were both working.

Others in my family don’t like to get involved with the husband at all because he’s hard to deal with. Aetna PPO provided him at least 60 SNF days (that I can tell) in this current stay.
I’m not sure if “free and easy” OM would have covered him for the extra 35-40 days left when he is not demonstrating any progress?

Yep. You nailed it. My cousin and her husband are ALWAYS griping that they have no money despite an inheritance from their mother and double incomes- Even when they were both working.

Others in my family don’t like to get involved with the husband at all because he’s hard to deal with. Aetna PPO provided him at least 60 SNF days (that I can tell) in this current stay.
I’m not sure if “free and easy” OM would have covered him for the extra 35-40 days left when he is not demonstrating any progress?

You know what it’s like . My car ins doubled for full coverage on a 7 yr Hyundai . It has 170 k miles and is beat to hell from all the driving I do and the places I go . The car ins doubled because few will insure this yr Hyundai because the car is easy to steal . I made a decision to do liability only to cut premium back in 1/2 . Now If I hit somebody and total it I’ll have wished I still had full coverage ( like having a mapd and wishing if I got sick I had a med sup ) . If I never have a wreck and I had full coverage I’ll curse myself for wasting so much money ( I bought the Med sup but wish I had the no premium mapd ) . We all got decisions to make .

Insurance is professional gambling... We dress it up and make it look sexy, we have PhD's work the numbers and attempt to see the future, we use hopped up computers to analyze the risk... but at the end of the day, it's still professional gambling.

No. Insurance is not gambling. Insurance is risk transfer to companies who can pool the risk using actuarial assumptions to factor in estimated claims and profitability. Sometimes it's more profitable and sometimes it's less... but it's always a risk transfer to the insurance company who can handle the risk.

As one poster put it in his profile signature: "You can transfer the risk or you can own the problem."

Insurance is professional gambling... We dress it up and make it look sexy, we have PhD's work the numbers and attempt to see the future, we use hopped up computers to analyze the risk... but at the end of the day, it's still professional gambling.
I like the dressing up and sexy part. At least we can look good doing something.

Back