• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Seo, Blog, Content Question

CHUMPS FROM OXFORD

Guru
5000 Post Club
Hi. How are you? "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is my favorite show.

I have a dilemma. I was going to write a piece for my blog. I don't write enough (just 2-3 articles per month). I know. I know. I'll double that from this point on.

Anyhow, I'm going to write a short piece on HSAs, and some of the best options in Ohio. I wrote an HSA article about 10 months ago (Health Savings Accounts (HSA) explained… | Ohio Health Insurance).

I would like to delete that article and just add a more current piece. But I notice many blogs keep their old articles and keep adding. Is there a reason for that?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Spellcheck was not used in this post.
WebNanny was used in this post.
InternetSpyBaby was used in this post.

The two big reasons:

1. Content is awesome. The more stuff you have on your website, the better (so long as it's real content -- not just fluff, not just the same post over and over on different pages, and not just pages and pages of nothing but keywords awkwardly stuffed into paragraphs). Content gets you indexed, and the more content you have related to a specific topic the more search engines tend to think you know about that topic.

2. You're using Wordpress. That means your internal linking structure is highly automated -- pages link to one another sort of willy-nilly, what with all of the "related posts," "recent posts," "most viewed posts," etc. type of things Wordpress includes. All of those links are fantastic because they make your whole site very, very easy to navigate by search engines. However, if you remove an article, you can end up with a lot of broken links, a lot of accidentally generated pages, and as a result search engines will have a harder time indexing your whole site. That could negatively impact your ranking.

OK. I was wondering about the chance of broken links. I guess I'll just add a new article, but keep the content a bit different from the first one.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. Two Falcons tix are on their way.

There are few reasons for deleting a blog post.

Either edit the old one or add a new one. It is usually better to add a new one.

One thing I learned recently is also to put a text link to your blogs title page. As the post get older a lot of times they start getting higher page rank than your newer posts, this will transfer some of that to the title page as time goes on. It will also make that second page come up underneath the title page in the search results.

I could just write short posts with keywords in them. Some agents on here write really well an ability I wish I had.

Back