Should Someone with Tricare Consider MAPD/MA Plans?

OK, several of you have said no, but I haven't fully heard why not.

On p. 73 of medicare & you, it says that folks with Tricare for life should keep their original plan, but I believe that is referring to their prescription plan through Tricare, not MAPD (or more so MA) overall.

As I understand it, Tricare becomes secondary to Medicare, picking up the 20% coinsurance, and would become secondary to an MA plan that a vet would choose.

The big downside of joining a MA plan would be a limited physician network, but I'm just not seeing a lot of other negatives. I know there have to be some because all I've ever heard is to NEVER put a Tricare for life person in a MA plan, but I've never fully learned why not.

Yes, page 73 is talking about part d.
You are correct that Tricare is secondary to Medicare, just like a supplement. If you pick up a supplement or medicare advantage plan then Tricare becomes secondary to those plans.
So ask yourself this. I you have Medicare, parts A and B, and you have Tricare, which costs you nothing, and it covers the other 20%, why would you take out a medicare advantage plan where you would now have co-pays that you didn't have before? What are the advantages to doing this? NONE!

OK, several of you have said no, but I haven't fully heard why not.

On p. 73 of medicare & you, it says that folks with Tricare for life should keep their original plan, but I believe that is referring to their prescription plan through Tricare, not MAPD (or more so MA) overall.

As I understand it, Tricare becomes secondary to Medicare, picking up the 20% coinsurance, and would become secondary to an MA plan that a vet would choose.

The big downside of joining a MA plan would be a limited physician network, but I'm just not seeing a lot of other negatives. I know there have to be some because all I've ever heard is to NEVER put a Tricare for life person in a MA plan, but I've never fully learned why not.

Tricare does not cordinate with an MA plan and his Tricare benefits would be worthless. He would also have higher drug costs.

Just take the word of everyone that has replied "no" and just don't do it unless you want a CMS violation filed against you. Which would probably happen once the client sees the costs he will now have to pay for when he uses it.

I'm new to this site but I've been selling MA for a while now. I've sold many Medicare/Tricare people advantage plans. The company I work for has a product that is specifically designed for duals (Medicare and Medicaid). This product is great for Tricare beneficiaries because Tricare acts just like Medicaid and fills in the gaps that Medicare leaves. Just make sure that their Dr is in-network and everything will be fine. Usually plans for duals have no monthly premium and come with several additional benefits like dental, vision, and OTC perks. If you still have uncertainties just call the tricare toll free number and talk to a rep about it. Hope this helps.

I'm new to this site but I've been selling MA for a while now. I've sold many Medicare/Tricare people advantage plans. The company I work for has a product that is specifically designed for duals (Medicare and Medicaid). This product is great for Tricare beneficiaries because Tricare acts just like Medicaid and fills in the gaps that Medicare leaves. Just make sure that their Dr is in-network and everything will be fine. Usually plans for duals have no monthly premium and come with several additional benefits like dental, vision, and OTC perks. If you still have uncertainties just call the tricare toll free number and talk to a rep about it. Hope this helps.

Please educate me as to how or why you would put "Medicare/Tricare people" with a dual eligible plan ?

I thought dual eligible plans are for dual eligibles. i.e. Must have Medicaid and Medicare .

If you put a non dual eligible on a plan that is for dual eligibles (aka Special Needs Plan) , then you are enrolling a non-qualified individual.

Or so I thought.

How can CMS be allowing this ?

SNPs are for people with special needs.

Please educate me as to how or why you would put "Medicare/Tricare people" with a dual eligible plan ?

I thought dual eligible plans are for dual eligibles. i.e. Must have Medicaid and Medicare .

If you put a non dual eligible on a plan that is for dual eligibles (aka Special Needs Plan) , then you are enrolling a non-qualified individual.

Or so I thought.

How can CMS be allowing this ?

SNPs are for people with special needs.

Slim, the question you need to ask is what really is a dual eligible plan? The dual plan that I sell is effectively origional medicare (20% coinsurance etc.) with some additional benefits like a full vision and dental policy linked with the part D for no monthly premium. Tricare fills in all medicare covered copays and coinsurance just like Medicaid does. So as long as the tricare individual's docs are already in-network it's no big deal. Tricare's dental plan is garbage so when you can tell a person that you can get them a better one for nothing then they're all about it. Also, they can use either tricare or their PDP at the pharmacy. Any half-brained pharmacist knows that they can use either one. I've had to argue a few times with pharmacists over the phone to work this out in the past. Hope this helps.

I do not agree with or understand the reasoning behind EVER selling a MA or MAPD or SNP plan to someone with Tricare.

I do not agree with or understand the reasoning behind EVER selling a MA or MAPD or SNP plan to someone with Tricare.

Me neither , but if you tell the old people you see that you have a dual eligible plan which has better dental benefits than non-existant dental benefits of Tricare, maybe you too can get non-dual eligibles accepted on a dual eligible plan.

My Mom has Tri-Care. Maybe I should get her a dual-eligible plan to fit her dental needs.

I'm still confused. lol

Slim, the question you need to ask is what really is a dual eligible plan? The dual plan that I sell is effectively origional medicare (20% coinsurance etc.) with some additional benefits like a full vision and dental policy linked with the part D for no monthly premium. Tricare fills in all medicare covered copays and coinsurance just like Medicaid does. So as long as the tricare individual's docs are already in-network it's no big deal. Tricare's dental plan is garbage so when you can tell a person that you can get them a better one for nothing then they're all about it. Also, they can use either tricare or their PDP at the pharmacy. Any half-brained pharmacist knows that they can use either one. I've had to argue a few times with pharmacists over the phone to work this out in the past. Hope this helps.

Is this what you tell your clients/potential clients? :skeptical:

Back