Should Someone with Tricare Consider MAPD/MA Plans?

The Tricare dental and vision I have seen beats the crap out of any of the MA's I have seen.

The statement TRK refers to is used by a lot of agents, but certainly not with the blessing of CMS, and to compare Tricare to Medicaid is ignorant of the limitations of Medicaid and disrespectful to the Veteran, IMO.

MV81845....what if the doctors aren't in network?

I wouldn't touch what you're doing.

Last edited:
Slim, the question you need to ask is what really is a dual eligible plan? The dual plan that I sell is effectively origional medicare (20% coinsurance etc.) with some additional benefits like a full vision and dental policy linked with the part D for no monthly premium. Tricare fills in all medicare covered copays and coinsurance just like Medicaid does. So as long as the tricare individual's docs are already in-network it's no big deal. Tricare's dental plan is garbage so when you can tell a person that you can get them a better one for nothing then they're all about it. Also, they can use either tricare or their PDP at the pharmacy. Any half-brained pharmacist knows that they can use either one. I've had to argue a few times with pharmacists over the phone to work this out in the past. Hope this helps.

What?????

You have no idea what a D/E plan is do you?

Geez, I can't believe that this thread has generated 23 posts. Tom, the answer to your query is simple:

NO!
I think you can see that is the consensus of the members of this forum who have resdponded. No offense intended, Tom, but what part of "NO" do you not understand?:goofy:

Last edited:
Wow... I never thought that this would cause this much intense back and forth either. Let me just say that selling to tricare beneficiaries is not my focus. I run accross them every now and then. If there docs are not in network than I simply don't write the biz. Yes I do know what a dual plan is. And I'm not comparing tricare beneficiaries to medicaid. It just behaves in the same way that medicaid does in terms of filling in the gaps that medicare leaves like the Part A deduct and the Part B coins ect. I really am surprised at how much activity this subject is getting. :)If you guys don't have a product that works for them then don't sell them anything. I've never had a tricare beneficiary and especially haven't had CMS come back with any gripes.

Does your post quoted below mean we took your original post too serious?

Wow... I never thought that this would cause this much intense back and forth either. Let me just say that selling to tricare beneficiaries is not my focus. I run accross them every now and then. If there docs are not in network than I simply don't write the biz. Yes I do know what a dual plan is. And I'm not comparing tricare beneficiaries to medicaid. It just behaves in the same way that medicaid does in terms of filling in the gaps that medicare leaves like the Part A deduct and the Part B coins ect. I really am surprised at how much activity this subject is getting. :)If you guys don't have a product that works for them then don't sell them anything. I've never had a tricare beneficiary and especially haven't had CMS come back with any gripes.

Back