Son Off to College < 100 Miles Why Can't I Drop Him

My son is off to college today and I found out I can't put him in part time use because he is only 75 miles away. I told the agent I wanted to drop him while he is away (if he comes home I'll drive him).

She says I can't drop him because he has a license and he lives in my house.

He won't drive so can they force me to insure him? That's 1300/yr for a car that is sitting!

It sounds to me you have a car, used by your son when he is home, where he is rated as the principal driver.

When I worked for Allstate, they would insist on rating for your son as a principal driver on this car, because he is not away at school over 100 miles. When I worked at Nationwide, I had more latitude, and could get underwriting permission to rate a young driver as occasional, if the situation warranted it. 75 miles away is a good distance from home, and if your son is not coming home more frequently than semester breaks and major holidays, or unless he has the car with him at school, an occasional rating could be justified.

On top of the occasional rating, most companies have a discount for a young driver being away at school over 100 miles, but you don't meet that requirement.

Some auto insurance companies are more flexible on rating for your son in this situation, or have lower rates for young drivers, so you may want to shop for a better deal. Though, beware of agents not rating for your son at all, because this won't be the case when the policy is issued by the company.

Excluding your son, if an option for you, is not desirable in my opinion. Your son will no longer have a continuous insurance history, and lifting the exclusion may be difficult. In some states, like California, this is less of a problem.

Another option can be to suspend coverage on the car sitting around while your son is at school. You may be allowed to carry comprehensive only on it, and have your son rated as an occasional driver on one of your other cars. But if the car your son drives is older, without physical damage coverage, and your other cars are newer with comprehensive & collision, you may not save any money. You should discuss your options with your agent. If your agent isn't very helpful, find a better agent.

Yeah, our companies are similar. >100 miles or else exclude where applicable. In Florida, you're still covered for the state minimum requirements, PIP and $10,000 PD liability.

Travelers did away with exclusions and Mercury will only exclude if he/she is insured elsewhere.

It seems in CT you have to keep him on the plan. They are saying I can't exclude him. I said at what point can I exclude him (he is almost 19), even made the joke because he has a license if he doesn't insure himself and assuming he is living at home till he is 30 (please no!) do I still have to insure him????

Anyway, it does seem he could surrender his license for the school year, although I am not sure what it would cost to reinstate it for the summer.

$1300 a year is going to be far, far cheaper than what happens if he drives your car and causes an accident while excluded from the policy.

It sucks, but probably better off this way.

Another consideration regarding a driver exclusion is any first party benefits would likely be excluded as well. Practically speaking what this means is should your son be involved in an accident as a passenger, your company could deny medical, disability and any other first party benefits should a claim arise. Also at risk is the denial of UM/UIM coverages. The driver exclusion form is state specific so check with your agent/company first before signing off on this.

Latest posts

Back