• Do you have any victories you'd like to share for the month of May? Help us celebrate others by posting here.

Starting over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you need to update your software, the price for this Assurant plan, with $2M of Rx coverage, standard rating, is $241.64 or $213 for preferred. The GHC plan is $305 standard, $282 for Preferred.

Assurant Software version 8.8.0 (Feb '07)

Zip: 34787
Plan: Save Right HSA PPO
Eff Date: 3/18/07
Network: PHCS
Ded: $3,000
Co-Ins: 100% after deductible
Female, age 49, standard, children: 1
Outpatient Max: $25,000
Rx Max: Plan Max
Lifetime Max: 2 million

Enrollee 197.11
Child 47.20
Rx Max 23.31
Assoc Fee 4.00
TOTAL 271.62

My software is out of date?

I've never had a claims issue with Assurant and have had several with GR. I don't care if GR's rates are $100 less and they're throwing in a free bag of chips - I've stopped selling them. If you love 'em then more power to ya. Let's put it this way - I went to GRs broker seminar last year. It turned into one huge bitch-fest as their top key brokers laid into the speaker about customer service issues.

I don't recommend the cheapest. I recommend the best. If you want to sell cheap then go ahead.

I shill for neither Assurant or Golden Rule. As a matter of fact, personally Assurant is my favorite company.

I've experienced claims issues with both. I've experienced service issues with both. As far as I'm concerned, everybody's back office sucks, service wise. Really, you think there's no bitching with Assurant?

If you can get someone to pay a 50% higher premium for perceived superior service - God bless ya!

I'll have my telemarketers calling in there tomorrow morning.

I sell what works for the long term. I used to be on of Aetna's biggest touters. Three years ago they came in with insanely low rates, very decent plans and what I considered to be outrageously good underwriting. I picked up the Aetna Kool Aid jar and started chugging it - got to the point where 60% of everything I wrote was Aetna - and that's 15% as-earned over a 25% full year advance.

Then I figured out why the rates were so cheap. I sell to my client - period. And the rate is 1 out of 5 factors I use to place my clients.

I was also chugging the GR Kool Aid in '04 - did a crap-load of business when them.....then came to see why there rates where so low.

If you want a place a client (In no particular order.)

1) Pre-ex conditions
2) Ability to submit a supp app and get different plan or new rates at renewal (Assurant with 10% healthy discount)
3) Pay claims without jerking the client around
4) Rate
5) Ability for the agent to have direct access to underwriters and claims

What you'll find with companies who have cheap rates is underwriting is horrible - everything pre-ex isn't covered but the agent cannot help out with a claim. Claims dep't throws "hipaa" at you saying they can't discuss the claim problem with the agent. Wrong. As the servicing agent hipaa doesn't apply - especially when the client is giving their ok for the agent to step in.

Last edited:
And by the way, let's qualify this. I'm not suggesting you should only sell one carrier. If you're selling properly the business will be spread around. All I'm saying is that the rate isn't the only factor used in determing where to place a client.

If you want a place a client (In no particular order.)

1) Pre-ex conditions
2) Ability to submit a supp app and get different plan or new rates at renewal (Assurant with 10% healthy discount)
3) Pay claims without jerking the client around
4) Rate
5) Ability for the agent to have direct access to underwriters and claims

All valid criteria, no doubt. One important one missing though.

Comparable coverage.

In the case we were discussing, one had a $25,000 outpatient maximum, the other a $5,000,000 outpatient maximum.

The five criteria outlined aren't gonna mean diddly squat if the client has a covered claim that includes $66,000 of outpatient services.

What happens then?

All valid criteria, no doubt. One important one missing though.

Comparable coverage.

In the case we were discussing, one had a $25,000 outpatient maximum, the other a $5,000,000 outpatient maximum.

The five criteria outlined aren't gonna mean diddly squat if the client has a covered claim that includes $66,000 of outpatient services.

What happens then?

The same thing that's happened to a few of my GR clients who got rammed with rate increases, have since contracted a medical condition so I can't put them anywhere else, they could no longer afford the GR rate and the state plan doesn't take them - they're screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back