Switching From Supplement To MAPD

SoA is for a face-to-face appointment. If you never see them, only mail or fax the application back and forth, then you don't need the SoA.

Just to be clear about telephone calls... you can talk to them all you want on the phone but you're not allowed to do the actual application/enrollment over the phone. You must have a wet signature. Only a CMS-approved call center can do a telephonic enrollment and the verbal SoA as well as the entire call must be recorded.

SoA is for a face-to-face appointment. If you never see them, only mail or fax the application back and forth, then you don't need the SoA.

OK well this is the first I heard of this. Are you positive? Anyone else agree.

I do as well. You can sell MA over the phone without SOA

So what happens when you don't send the SOA in? Does the carrier assume you forgot about it or assume you didn't do a face to face? How do they know everything was done by mail?

So what happens when you don't send the SOA in? Does the carrier assume you forgot about it or assume you didn't do a face to face? How do they know everything was done by mail?

Many plans (not all) require a SOA regardless of whether or not you do it F2F or over the phone. You might want to contact the plan to see how they would like you to proceed. However, some plans might tell you that you can not sign them without F2F and that they would have to contact the plan directly, and you forfeit any commissions.

To cover you in case of a complaint I would recommend proceeding as you are, having a signed SOA will cover you... although you don't technically need it. That way you can submit the SOA along with the application.

I disagree with some saying that since they are older you should recommend they stay the supps. The only person in this thread that would really know is you. MA plans are only as strong as their networks and MOOP (IMO). If you have a well-represented MA plan with a $3,400 MOOP then that's definitely a viable option. The only issue with the whole "free-look" period is that you need to make sure they can get out of the MA if they decide they don't like it, i.e. ADEP, IEP, or if they are LIS (SEP).

I'm only speaking from what I have witnessed in the field; the majority (I know some would disagree but this is what I have witnessed) are breaking the CMS rules one way or another; the majority don't even know they're breaking the rules; almost all of them get SOA's.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm not sure how much MA or supplement business I will be doing since I have mainly only worked with annuities. Anyway, after further discussion with the client he determined he would rather play it safe and pay for a supplement as he could not bankroll a large expense. He's more comfortable with a supplement knowing what he will be spending. Also the MOOP was $4,750 not $3,400. I was reading the wrong summary of benefits.

Good information to know though in case it ever comes up again.

Getting back to switching from MA to Med Supp, do the carriers rate up based on the underwriting or is pass/fail? I checked the PA DOI and I understand that carriers in PA can exclude pre-ex conditions only for the first 6 months of coverage. I learned today that this lady may need knee replacement surgery. BTW thanks for the replies to my earlier questions.

Back