Terminated for cause State Farm

Are there some sort of repercussions to your insurance license? No offense, but if not, move on. If you are the solid agent tht your posts makes you out to be you will do far better working for someone else, better yet - yourself.

I am an agent for over 35 yrs. Farmers for 15 and Independent thereafter. The reason you were given may only be the front they are using to terminate. Frequently the Company needs to free up a position, and "create" a cause of termination in order to achieve their goal. They are pros at creating the "documentation". It is not actually about you, it is for their gain. You are the scapegoat/victim. You can fight it, though you might as well wear a scarlet letter if you work there again. It will never be what it was before, and you will be unhappy. On the positive side, being an independent is great. You will not ever look back at snake farm with regret. No need to over share to potential new employers why you are going independent. It is common for captive agents move to independent. More markets fto offer your clients.

Anytime an insurance agent is "termed for cause" you need to get an attorney. That is a serious problem you will have on your record. Don't take that lightly.

MOST terminations are not for cause. Most are for lack of production or poor quality of business. Those are no big deal. A termination for cause is usually a very serious offense.

So I explained everything to the auditor and State Farm, and they terminated me and didn’t even give me the specific details or written form for why they concluded to this. Worse is that it’s termination for cause which will potentially affect me if I want to go independent or with an
My opinion, and its not worth much, is that if they did not provide a "clear" written explaination of how the determined to fire you with cause than its not clear that they DID indeed fire you for cause.

Frankly I am not sure from your perspective that I would consider this being fired with cause if they fail to produce more informaiton. Yes you can send letters, hire an attorney, etc.

Minnesota (gleaned from wwgsrevo's previous post) is an "employment at will" state which means an employee can be fired for any reason or no reason as long as that reason is not illegal, such as discrimination based on race, creed, color, sex, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or marital status.

In the absence of illegal discrimination or breach of contract there really isn't anything wwgsrevo can do about the termination.

To be clear, you were employed by the local agent/agency, correct? If you were not employed by State Farm, they cant terminate you. They likely told the agent he would be terminated based on the findings of the auditor that you had either caused them to incur excessive fees for running MVR/credit based reports or that you didn’t obtain permission from the direct party you were running the reports on.

The situation here has nothing to do with a termination of employment, it has to do with a termination of appointment. It appears that State Farm corporate suspected misconduct and decided to terminate the agency owner's employee's appointment. When this happens, the agent's employee is no longer allowed to bind any business with the insurer. The local State Farm agency owner really had no choice but to let his employee go because he would not be able to produce any more policies. State Farm corporate apparently reported this appointment termination as "for cause" to the insurance commissioner. Insurers are required to report all appointment terminations to their state's insurance department.

Back