"theoretical Question.." How Long Does Smoking Stick with You?

Re: "theoretical Question.." How Long Does Smoking Stick with Yo

Just to clarify, my smokers pay smoker rates and I wouldnt encourage any lying on my apps. I've got a friend that quit smoking years ago and for whatever reason decided to have a cig a month ago. Personally, 1 cigarette in 5 years doesnt constitute smoking in my book.

I have had a client that lied to me on a health app and the carrier came back 5 months later to re-rate the policy when they came across a record that indicated he was smoking shortly before issue.

With face value under $1M, does any carrier test for this? Just wondering.....

1 cig does not make someone a smoker. Even carriers will tell you that. They may question an ex-smoker if it really was only 1 cig though...

Dan

I would assume it shows up in your blood/urine?

The only things that 'show up' are things that are specifically tested for, such as cholestoral, blood sugar, cocaine, etc.

I've been told, but have no way to verify that they do not bother testing for smoking or pot use. There are also a lot of other things that are not tested for, but could be pretty easily.

Dan

The only things that 'show up' are things that are specifically tested for, such as cholestoral, blood sugar, cocaine, etc.

I've been told, but have no way to verify that they do not bother testing for smoking or pot use. There are also a lot of other things that are not tested for, but could be pretty easily.

Dan

I don't know about pot, but I do know of companies that test everyone for nicotine.

I'm not sure who some of you are writing with, but every company I've ever written with checks for nicotine or some other evidence of tobacco use. Have you guys never had a company come back to you indicating the applicant is found to be a tobacco user after nothing but a paramed and blood / urine?

Same here.
Every company that I do business with checks blood and/or urine for nicotine/cocaine/opiates.
Pot varies but most companies do check and just consider them the same as a regular smoker.

Not only have I heard this directly from the companies, but also directly from the lady who owns one of the local paramed franchises.

Also, this holds true from experience. I have had more than one client who was caught lying about smoking.

If companies took people at their word about tobacco use, everyone would have a nonsmoker rating!

Last edited:

Be sure and tell the truth on that application. You only hurt yourself and the client if any answer is not the truth.

My experience has been that people will lie to the agent, but then when the paramed examiner comes, and they are faced with signing a form that attests to the accuracy of their disclosure, they come clean. Which of course creates issues as now we typically have to re-apply with a different company that has better smoker rates.

I realize this may be a frowned upon question, but does anyone know how long it would take for cigs to NOT show up in an applicant's blood/urine? People seem to have their theories with pot/blow/prescription drugs, but what about cigarettes?

I believe about a week, but many have brought some good points to our attention, such as, the risk of E&O claim, problems with DB, etc.

Back