This Is My First Post -please Be Gentle

I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond. Your input has been invaluable!

You should also take in to account that you will likely not have a 100% retention level. With times like current, some people are opting to self-insure, even in mandatory insurance states. The first thing to go for some people is car insurance.

the only person you have to answer to is the man (woman) in the mirror... yes is it risky, if things don't go as well in the begining. you could get a part time job somewhere.. to hold you over.. i say go for it.

Thanks, I am going for it!!!

the only person you have to answer to is the man (woman) in the mirror... yes is it risky, if things don't go as well in the begining. you could get a part time job somewhere.. to hold you over.. i say go for it.

Hi and welcome!

I think that in order to achieve your financial goal you need to start off at the bottom and then work your way up. You need to make sure that you budget well and that your out costs are not greater then your in costs so that you can cope with the payments that you have at home.
I wish you luck! :)

Thanks, Jodie, for the support! I have a 4-month cushion that can sustain me if I don't make one single cent. However, I don't plan on making not one single cent. :) In fact today, I quoted 6 auto, 2 homeowners, 1 condo and 1 umbrella...Not bad, considering I was at my full-time hell job when I got these requests.

I plan on hitting the pavement and hitting it HARD. If I come up short in about Month 3 of my financial cushion, I will either find a part-time job or temp to supplement it. I'm not getting any younger, and I can't let fear tie my hands. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Fortunately, I am debt free so I don't have bills other than rent, utilities, cell phone, and I am being given an office and all its use, including CSRs, so I can focus on quoting and writing.

I have health and life insurance experience and a good mentor for P&C. I am going to shoot high and be grateful for what I have at any given moment, rather than obsess on way down the road.

Some may think I am insane, but sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Even though my husband is scared sh*tless about what the outcome will be, he's behind me (even if trepidatiously) 100% because the defeated person I've become in the corporate 9-5 desk job is not appealing to him or me, either.

So, I leap forward in great faith and what will be, will be.

Wow..where did this force of spirit come from? Let me check myself. :)

Thanks, Jodie, for the support! I have a 4-month cushion that can sustain me if I don't make one single cent. However, I don't plan on making not one single cent. :) In fact today, I quoted 6 auto, 2 homeowners, 1 condo and 1 umbrella...Not bad, considering I was at my full-time hell job when I got these requests.

I plan on hitting the pavement and hitting it HARD. If I come up short in about Month 3 of my financial cushion, I will either find a part-time job or temp to supplement it. I'm not getting any younger, and I can't let fear tie my hands. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Fortunately, I am debt free so I don't have bills other than rent, utilities, cell phone, and I am being given an office and all its use, including CSRs, so I can focus on quoting and writing.

I have health and life insurance experience and a good mentor for P&C. I am going to shoot high and be grateful for what I have at any given moment, rather than obsess on way down the road.

Some may think I am insane, but sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Even though my husband is scared sh*tless about what the outcome will be, he's behind me (even if trepidatiously) 100% because the defeated person I've become in the corporate 9-5 desk job is not appealing to him or me, either.

So, I leap forward in great faith and what will be, will be.

Wow..where did this force of spirit come from? Let me check myself. :)
Sounds like we may be in a similar situation. I was just wondering how you are generating your leads. I have about 3 years of P/C personal lines experience on the inde side and kind of take the over flow calls in the office as well as X-sell our monoline policies. I've joined a BNI group as well. Just wanted to hear how you are generating business.

Thanks,

Hi, Eddie:

I developed a flyer. I've been passing them out for a few days..not too heavily because I haven't been out much due to being tied to my desk in the hellacious 9-5 I'm in.

Anyway, anyone who takes my money gets a flyer. Bank Teller, Burger King lady who gives me my tank of Diet Coke every morning. If someone I try to give the flyer to says, "I'm not interested," I simply reply, "I'm sorry that you don't want to take advantage of possibly saving on your premiums, but if you'd be so kind to pay it forward by passing it on, I would greatly appreciate it." Now, most of these people know me by sight, so they aren't rude to me.

As far as leads, I network like crazy...BNI, Chamber breakfasts, anywhere where people gather. I engage in conversation and when they ask me, "What do you do," I respond, "I do my best to save the average joe a few bucks on his insurance because we all need a break."

In the past (I was a H,L agent several years ago), I simply walk the walk and talk the talk. And, if I meet someone, I tell them that I am not interested in replacing their policy (ESPECIALLY LIFE -- what a hassle), but beating their current premiums with either exact coverage or something better if I can find it. If I can meet the price, I ask them to please consider me at renewal time, and may I call on them a month prior. Using this permission method, they almost always say YES. Truth be told, I find that most people don't shop for better rates than what they are paying because they find it entirely overwhelming.

Again, I am new at P&C and will investigate lead sources once I find myself running dry. I've paid for leads in the past (big $$) for little return. I find being out in public and not being shy to be the best lead generator for me, personally. It's all about keeping overhead low.

I am sure I am naive in many ways, but selling is natural for me -- even more so if I know my product inside and out. I will get there on the P&C side...hopefully, sooner rather than later. Sorry for rambling on, but I am so stoked these past few days that I cannot concentrate. I find this board to be IMMENSELY HELPFUL AND SUPPORTIVE.

DEGRI

Hi, Eddie:

I developed a flyer. I've been passing them out for a few days..not too heavily because I haven't been out much due to being tied to my desk in the hellacious 9-5 I'm in.

Anyway, anyone who takes my money gets a flyer. Bank Teller, Burger King lady who gives me my tank of Diet Coke every morning. If someone I try to give the flyer to says, "I'm not interested," I simply reply, "I'm sorry that you don't want to take advantage of possibly saving on your premiums, but if you'd be so kind to pay it forward by passing it on, I would greatly appreciate it." Now, most of these people know me by sight, so they aren't rude to me.

As far as leads, I network like crazy...BNI, Chamber breakfasts, anywhere where people gather. I engage in conversation and when they ask me, "What do you do," I respond, "I do my best to save the average joe a few bucks on his insurance because we all need a break."

In the past (I was a H,L agent several years ago), I simply walk the walk and talk the talk. And, if I meet someone, I tell them that I am not interested in replacing their policy (ESPECIALLY LIFE -- what a hassle), but beating their current premiums with either exact coverage or something better if I can find it. If I can meet the price, I ask them to please consider me at renewal time, and may I call on them a month prior. Using this permission method, they almost always say YES. Truth be told, I find that most people don't shop for better rates than what they are paying because they find it entirely overwhelming.

Again, I am new at P&C and will investigate lead sources once I find myself running dry. I've paid for leads in the past (big $$) for little return. I find being out in public and not being shy to be the best lead generator for me, personally. It's all about keeping overhead low.

I am sure I am naive in many ways, but selling is natural for me -- even more so if I know my product inside and out. I will get there on the P&C side...hopefully, sooner rather than later. Sorry for rambling on, but I am so stoked these past few days that I cannot concentrate. I find this board to be IMMENSELY HELPFUL AND SUPPORTIVE.

DEGRI
Sounds AWESOME! You undoubtedly will do great. I need to do the same more consistently. It's funny I use a dry cleaner all the time and asked him about his insurance but he wouldn't give me the time of day. I need to start doing business with people that I do business with. I buy a coffee every morning from Mcdonalds and it's right across the street from our agency all those kids should have there car insurance with me

I have been thinking about going other routes with insurance from FE, LIFE, and Medicare...I think I need to just focus on what I already know well.

I enjoy the PC side, home/auto/umbrella/earthquake as it is a quicker sale. And throwing in some term policies every month should get me to where I want to be financially. Focusing on the senior market is not for me, it is such a slower sale as in the time you have to spend with the client.

Keep me posted on your success. Thanks again for the post.

Back